Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hush Box

Default Hush Box

I have created a "hush box" for my CompuCarve that helps to cut down on the noise of the unit. I used foam insulation from Home Depot and have created a dust collector port under the table.

I would be happy to send photos via email if you will send your requests to: jspringertx@sbcglobal.net

Default Overheating?

Watch out for overheating. Let us know how it goes.
    If it doesn't fit force it. If it breaks then it needed replacing anyway.

Have a Craftsman Carver and Running Ver. 1.150

Posting pictures tutorial http://www.malanoski.com/downloads/posting_pictures.pdf.

Thumbs up

I like the name – “hush box”, if you have an under or down draft table/cabinet you should be pulling enough air through the machine to keep it from over heating.
    Mine pulls about 600 to 800 cfm. But just to be on the safe side I have an inexpensive heat gauge in the top of mine, that’s where the is going rises to.
    ken
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Default hush box heat

I appreciate the comments on the heat guage. Heat is not a problem right now as I have the unit in the garage and I monitor it very closely.

With the high heat and temp in the Houston summers I will have to install some sort of cooling system in addition to the draw thru dust collector.

If anyone has any ideas just drop me a line. I have three photos that I can email you if you want to get a rough idea of what I have done.

Quote Originally Posted by jspringertx View Post
    I I have three photos that I can email you if you want to get a rough idea of what I have done.
    Why not just post them, so we can all see.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Default photos

Due to the limits of the forum they would be so small that you couldn't see them.

Default Posting photos

Due to the limits of the forum they would be so small that you couldn't see them.

Here are two of the images. Hopefully you can see them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hushbox1.jpg   hushbox 4.jpg  

Default Photos

Here are two of the images. Hopefully you can see them.
    Here is image #3. I didn't realize that I could upload the images. How stupid of me.

I am NOT a cabinetmaker or craftsman so forgive the poor construction of the cabinet. I just assembled the cabinet as I went along and made many changes to the design.

The taller cap was due to the fact that I did not take into consideration the flex-shaft and I had to add 4" to the top of the box.

I am working on the dust collection and cooling system.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hushbox 3.jpg  

That's pretty slick! And involved. How much does it cut the noise down?
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Default Noise

It reduces the high pitched whine of the machine quite a bit. I think that better insulation would do a better job, but the foam was cheap and easy to apply.

I think I will add a sheet of foam to the bottom and cut a hole for dust collection similar to your idea. I have a hole now that does drag some sawdust into the gutter I installed under the table.

My wife still insists that I wear ear protection.

I have to admit that I obtained some great ideas from Ron in Rockport.
    Last edited by jspringertx; 03-14-2007 at 09:45 PM. Reason: added comments

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast