Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Broke bit when drilling

Just move the cover and listen to when the right switch clicks. Maybe it has come loose. Make sure it clicks before the cover is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Just move the cover and listen to when the right switch clicks. Maybe it has come loose. Make sure it clicks before the cover is closed.
    The right switch clicks a tiny fraction of an instant before the left switch consistently same as it always has.

Having a LHR Input on a Sunday Night... That is much appreciated... AS is your suggestion. You have a valid point that the cover could hop or vibrate and just as it went to drill the hole the cut motor did not start and the wiggle of the bit doing a drill hole caused the snap.. If I were a betting man I bet the right side seat belt solves the problem.

I know the sound of a snapping bit.... After doing maintenance I slid a board into the machine and heard the $35.00 Snap... I had left the head down after putting on the flex before powering up that would have raised the head....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Having a LHR Input on a Sunday Night... That is much appreciated... AS is your suggestion. You have a valid point that the cover could hop or vibrate and just as it went to drill the hole the cut motor did not start and the wiggle of the bit doing a drill hole caused the snap.. If I were a betting man I bet the right side seat belt solves the problem.

I know the sound of a snapping bit.... After doing maintenance I slid a board into the machine and heard the $35.00 Snap... I had left the head down after putting on the flex before powering up that would have raised the head....

AL
    I certainly wasn't discounting the idea or the input, like I said - just explaining that there was no change in the cover between yesterday and today, and I drilled several holes yesterday (ran two complete carves as a matter of fact). Unfortunately I won't be able to try again until the two bits I ordered from LHR come in. I ordered two so I don't lose too much time if it does happen again. I'm going to work on seeing if I can get the 1/16" bit to function (I never have been able to get it to work up to this point - this time I will grab the error number if I run into the same problem) - since I don't use that bit, it will be no loss if it breaks the same way, and if it does work, I'll use that one for drilling holes while I wait on the larger bits.

ok, bits came in today (yesterday) - sharp, new, shiny, beautiful, expensive bits lol

So I figured that the only way to know was to try, and so I ran the drilling portion of the carve I broke the bit on the other day - it drilled out every hole, however there was a small issue with a few of the holes on the end. I'll make another post later on about that problem after I get some sleep. For now, here's a couple pics of the carves I completed tonight. I did get a couple "check cut motor" messages, but since everything else seemed to be working fine, I just hit enter to continue and it finished carving with no further issues. Towards the very end of the second carving (the renegades carve) I got some loud noise from the flex shaft, but as soon as I touched it to check for heat (no heat), the noise stopped and there didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary going on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12088362_1016776401676049_3013545479484923857_n.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	78299Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12109069_1016687951684894_6963145329201708143_n.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	78300

I do hope you are following the seven inch rule....Those are some pretty big drill holes. The 3/16" cutting bit would be better for those. Less likely to break.
    Last edited by lynnfrwd; 10-16-2015 at 09:39 AM.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    I do hope you are following the seven inch rule....Those are some pretty big drill holes. The 3/16" cutting bit would be better for those. Less likely to break.
    Yes, I cut the ends off after running the project. The biggest hole is an inch, but only .125 deep. If I drill deeper I do it with a max pass depth of .125 or .25
    I agree that the 3/16 bit would probably be better to use, unfortunately it's not something I can just do whenever.

Would the 3/16 bit take care of the issue I'm seeing from time to time with the machine drilling egged holes?

Quote Originally Posted by 2A Finishing View Post

Would the 3/16 bit take care of the issue I'm seeing from time to time with the machine drilling egged holes?
    That's a tracking issue.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    That's a tracking issue.
    That would explain it. I forgot the tape.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234