Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Broke bit when drilling

I would put a seat belt on the clear cover at the cut motor switch. A piece of tape installed with the cover 1/4 open so when closed it holds the clear cover to the cut switch. I installed one on my left switch in the picture.

I bought some of the 1/8th inch Circuit Board End Mill Bits from eBay. I plan to use it with the 1/4 inch to 1/8th inch bit holder for Roto Zip. IF I can get the length correct so the machine will think it is a 1/8 inch cutting bit. Have not tried it yet. May need a longer bit holder.

I use the Roto Zip holder for the 1/16th Circuit Board End Mill Bits in the picture.

The Cut Motor CRIMP connectors have been known to come loose.... Even the Crimp on the wire... give it a TUG.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03168_WEB.jpg   DSC02590a_WEB.jpg   DSC02590_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 10-11-2015 at 12:36 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    I would put a seat belt on the clear cover at the cut motor switch. A piece of tape installed with the cover 1/4 open so when closed it holds the clear cover to the cut switch. I installed one on my left switch in the picture.
    Like this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12115431_1014796688540687_1072199401171401990_n.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	78250

What do you have cut into the front part of you clear cover? Cutting too short and vibration can cause switch to open the circuit.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    What do you have cut into the front part of you clear cover? Cutting too short and vibration can cause switch to open the circuit.
    It's just cut to clear the Ringneck Blues dust collector (and I *ONLY* cut it because the RNB DC documentation stated that modifying the clear cover to clear the dust collector does NOT void my warranty)

It doesn't, but we have discovered cutting the cover too short cause loss of clear cover switch working during vibration.

Yes, but on the other side... I have tape on my left switch and that tells the computer that the clear cover is raised. The Right one is the cut motor safety switch and the return path of the voltage for the cut motor. A no start cut motor check this FIRST...
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

It doesn't, but we have discovered cutting the cover too short cause loss of clear cover switch working during vibration.
    The cover rests on the dust collector. If vibration was the issue in this particular case, I'd have been having cut motor problems from day 1 - this is the first time I've ever experienced this problem. The DC was installed from day 1. I didn't cut my cover shorter this morning before starting my carve.

Just trying to help. I'll shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Yes, but on the other side... I have tape on my left switch and that tells the computer that the clear cover is raised. The Right one is the cut motor safety switch and the return path of the voltage for the cut motor. A no start cut motor check this FIRST...
    Thanks. I'll add a piece of tape to the other side as well.

Just trying to help. I'll shut up.
    I hope you didn't take my response as being rude, because it wasn't intended this way. I'm afraid my frustration with the machine may be showing through a bit as it's spent more time down than running since I bought it.

To be clear, I'll take all the help I can get, I was just letting you know that the cover is probably not the issue this time around because I haven't made any change to the cover since the first day I installed the machine in my shop when I cut it to clear the dust collector and never had a problem like this before.

I've run 6 separate cut motor tests for around 10 seconds each and have not had another failure. So far it has only happened during the carve I started this morning - it ran a 50 minute carve then after switching to the cutting bit for the drill operation, it spun up before finding the bit, went to drill, and broke the bit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast