Thread: 3" round PVC lithophane display idea

Default 3" round PVC lithophane display idea

I don't know if this idea has been shared, but I have been thinking about this for some time, and finally tried it out. If this has been addressed point me to the post so I can delete this one.
    This deals with the 3" round pvc lithophanes. The kids bought my wife some time ago a rotating round base with colored led's in the middle, and you could display these square or rectangle pieces of glass with different designs in the middle of them, (see pic).
    I found a place on eBay that sells the rotating base in the $11.00 range, driven by an included power pack. 3 AA's batteries can be used but the base will not rotate under battery power. But when I put my lithophanes on the base, the colors did not have enough light, looked kinda cool, but not bright enough. So went to my local Harbor Freight store, and purchased a pack of 2- 9 bulb white led flashlights for $3.00. After a little modification I now have a lithophane that rotates approx one revolution a minute with plenty of white light. I tried purchasing a white led rotating base, but I could not seem to find a reasonable priced one, prices jumped considerably.
    Anyway just another idea, hopefully new, for our hobby.
    Thanks,
    Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0082.JPG   IMG_0073.JPG   IMG_0083.JPG   IMG_0087.JPG  

3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

now that is nice were did you get the lighting wow
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Gary,

Great idea on converting the flashlights to the round light housing base. Doing the same/similar thing is some where on my want to do list. I would like to do it for outside solar lights.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Very good idea. Thanks
    Don

Great ideas, Gary. Nice options for rotary lithos. Thank you for sharing them....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Cool ... Put the Ebay seller link up ....
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Well, I mistaken said eBay, sorry, meant Amazon.com. And the price was under $10.00 shipped. I hope this link works... Not very good at attaching links.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._detailpages00
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

I have made several using a rotating base from National Art Craft. This one uses 6- 1/4 panels glued in hex shape I also have made several using 3' PVC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0506.JPG  

You guys do beautiful work. I am getting ready to do my first Litho... what's the purpose of carving the image so the carved portion faces out. Sounds like an awful dust collector??

Here is one using the 3' PVC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0409.JPG