Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Using blender 3d to create stl for CW pattern

Oscarl148

Great!! Video
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Can't wait to see the pictures of all the spoon models. Once you have the technique down they should only take about 5 minutes to make.

Really quick concept designs using a custom chain I made. I don't think the second looped chain handle will work. I may twist the chain around itself and see how that looks.

Blenderites. Create your chain and then set a Bezier curve to follow the curve you want. Apply the curve modifier to the chain using the Bezier curve as its path. Super easy and super fast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chain spoon.png   chain spoon 2.png  

I've used Blender for several years, but not applied it to the Carvewright yet. Thanks for the video and the incentive to try it. A quick note on 3D modelling in Blender. There is an add-on called 3D Print Toolbox. It is aimed at people using Blender to make 3D models for 3D printers, but it might help if you are making a complicated model that you want to carve. The STL Importer usually highlights issues with the model when you are slicing it, but this tool makes sure the 3D model is "watertight". For example if you load the Suzanne object you can see that the eyes are not connected to the body. There is a tutorial that shows you how to fix this by editing the mesh points, but if you run the 3D Tool box, it can fix it for you. No need to get too deep into Blender! It is powerful and can be frustrating at times. But it is a powerful tool for free.

Thanks once again for the video!

CompuCarve
    Updated to rubber traction feed;
    New Chuck System.
    dc Insert

iMAC 3.2Ghz Intel Core 3
    8G DDR
    1G HDD Plus 5Tb NAS storage

NEW: Project Designer 3.0!!!
    Project designer 1.187
    Centerline
    STL Import
    Scanning Probe

robboz4.no-ip.org/Robboz-_Designs/Wood_Carvings.html
    (Online PDT time only)

Thank you. I have looked at that add-on but it looked more geared to 3d printing. I'll give it another look. I have been focused on using standard .75" lumber for the patterns so it hasn't really been an issue. I use the designer editor software to fix any small holes in the mesh after porting because its way faster than remodeling (usually takes about 30 sec to 1 min). There is the attention to detail in getting the perfect mesh for a 3d model and then my way of building a 3d model mesh that can look like total crap for exporting to an STL but will still make a great pattern.

Quick comment: I LOVE BLENDER! lol

It is super easy to make patterns for the CW after learning the UI. The CW STL importer does a wonderful job at importing the 3d models I make. I attempt to build my 3d models at .5" and build them as 2.5d for exporting to CW. So I treat the models for the CW very differently than other 3d models I plan to use for other purposes. Showing two of my models. One specifically built for CW and another I used for CW but originally had built for a picture rendering.

I am at the point where I am learning animation but I really have to start learning node usage. The incredible power of the software looks like its trending that way.

I can't emphasize enough that my way of doing patterns and 3d models is only my way. There are probably hundreds of other ways and they are all probably better. Even within Blender there are many ways to get to an end result.

Robbo, time to start making some wonder CW models using Blender.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails m60 TANK.png   rider wireframe.png  

I agree Blender is really good and powerful. At least the UI has kind of stabilized now. In the early days every time a new version came out, it was time to relearn. I stopped buying Blender books, because they are out of date as soon as you read it. Instead I rely on the gurus who post "how to.." videos. I have made one animation of a 3D printer. I used it as a teaching aid in my "Introduction to 3D printer class." I'll post the link below. I've also taken a 3D model from Thingiverse and tried to carve it, the Octopus. I posted the results on the forum. I got some great advise on how to make the carve successful, but haven't had time to try again. It's been about 4 years!!! No idea where time goes. Oh I know leaning Blender... LOL.

Animation video: https://youtu.be/xuEENIHbbrA

Cheers for now

Dave, sweet animation. If your class doesn't understand 3d printers after that...well they should not be in your class.

I've had only okay results with building multiple stl cut patterns. They never seem to line up perfectly. The dragon clawed feet on my steampunk cabinet were a 4 stl layered pattern (if I remember right).

I did see your octopus project. I really liked it and since I am in a steampunk phase it got me thinking into creating one for myself. Not an stl but an over the top octopus scene/art piece.

Default Old skeleton key

Its been a little bit so here is another tutorial video on how to make fancy skeleton key patterns.

I used the Bool Tool add-on for Blender 3d. If you don't have it, it is a nifty little tool. You can still do all the same functions but you have to use the bool modifier and a lot more key strokes.

I used three separate techniques for the 3d model. 1. Bezier curves converted to mesh. 2. Vert extrusions wrapped around an axis. 3. Boolean difference brush to cut into a mesh.

The model was complete free styling so not perfect. I wasn't too worried about the final mesh so it is a little ugly. There are some tears in the mesh in the x and y axis but since using the z axis perspective wasn't too concerned. If using a different perspective you will have repair the mesh.

As always you can delete the non-observed side in Blender 3d or do it in the CW Designer software when you port it in. In this case I used the Designer software.

I did not voice over since I am pretty bad at it but tried to slow down and show the different steps I used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRKUqOGF8mw

Hope you enjoy it and learn a little bit from it.

I'll upload the pattern in the pattern sharing section under objects but here is a picture of the pattern as a teaser.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW old skeleton key.png  

Just a quick note that I hope all the blender users are still plugging away learning the software. I am in the middle of moving and have pile of boxes everywhere. My CW is behind tons of stuff so will probably be a few weeks before I can make any sawdust. I did get a new Delta table saw to add to the pile. My old table saw was a little long in the tooth and a little worse for wear. I am a klutz and kept dropping my slide so that it no longer is automatically square. Had to measure every time I moved it. Pain in the behind. So now I have two hybrid table saws. I thought I would have tons of room in a two car garage. lol. Not even close. But even though I am still unpacking and trying to figure out where to put everything I have to be on the computer creating models and patterns. It's not quite an addiction (yet). John's graphite project inspired me and I'm starting a lion head bust. I am in the early stages but here is what I have so far.

I'll be adding it to an architectural element which may go into the pattern depot at some point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lion head bust.jpg  

Nice start Oscarl,

Looking at your screen shot looks tools between blender and Max are close enough. I assume you have a reference image in there somewhere. Thing to keep in mind your model does not have to be one mesh and can be made up in several pieces. I join all my pieces in Zbrush when sculpting but there several ways/programs to join which I am sure you know. Other thing, you don't always have to make quads...when I first started I tried to keep all quads and became a mind game. yep all quads make the best model but for 2.5d cnc stuff not a must...triangles and few n-gons don't hurt
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast