Page 22 of 61 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Using blender 3d to create stl for CW pattern

Mugsowner, thanks. Finished tweaking and ready to load up the card. I thought the fingers were a little high so lowered and angled them slightly different. Carving the columns in maple and the rest of the clock in Mahogany. Should be pretty. May try to start it tomorrow.

Included a quick color render for fun.

For the blender users: The dragon body is a single scale that I used 3 arrays to duplicate and then curved around a circle to get the curvature to simulate a cylindrical body. I then applied a second curvature to simulate the curvature around the column. The dragon head was sculpted. The horns were single simple cylinder with loop cuts and sized proportionally and then duplicated, angled and rotated 180 degree for opposing side. The claws hands are a single finger duplicated and resized similarly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW dragon columns.png   dragon column 2 small.jpg   blender dragon scale modifiers.png  

Some progress. Got two of the patterns carved for the clock. The columns still need a bit of sanding. I screwed up the height (didn't plane the lumber to the pattern height and allowed the machine to carve to the measured height...which it didn't carve deep enough). So had to go to the band saw. Not a big deal but an extra step.

The dragon column looks sharp with the maple over the mahogany. Can't wait for the oil application to see what it really looks like. Its always magic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dragon claw clock v2 columns small.JPG   dragon claw clock v2 face small.jpg  

A fun use of the claws is an oval picture frame.

Blender users: What modifier allows you to make the basic frame in 30 secs or less?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW dragon claw oval picture frame.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I knew you would figure out something cool for a Dragon Pillar. If we put our heads together we could make some awesome stuff.

Scooby, that was a great idea.

And the dragon pillar came out really cool. The picture doesn't do it justice.

I wish I could get motivated to start learning z-brush. It was built for stuff like this. My problem is, Blender just keeps getting better and better and I keep delving into different areas of it. I've started trying to learn animation now.
    Last edited by oscarl48; 06-06-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Guys, if you haven't played with dynamic paint physics, you should. It is a lot of fun and it can create some really cool effects.

This took about 2 minutes to create so fairly easy.

In the physics modifier tab:
    1. Assign brush to a mesh.
    2. Assign canvas to a field (ensure to subdivide enough to ensure smooth surface).
    3. Establish a timeline.
    4. Hit run

The software creates a dynamic environment where the brush will deform the canvas based on shape of the brush over a specified time. Really cool to create complex interactions.

If you play with it post pictures of what you create.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bullet shock wave.png   CW bullet shock waves.png   Dynamic paint example.png  

A work in progress for some sculpting practice and building up my library. Making a horse skull. Ported the draft into designer to see what it would look like.

Eventually it will become a unicorn skull like in the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW hose skull.png   fantastical geode small sparkles.jpg  

Learned something new today: Radial Symmetry Sculpting.

It is crazy what it can allow you to make in no time at all. This took <30 secs to make (I am not exaggerating) after setting up the scene.

Under sculpting panel > symmetry lock > un-select all mirror x,y,z > set radial x and y to 0 and set Z to some number and start sculpting (in the example I used 64).

Ensure you have enough geometry to hold the shape properly.

Edit: Added a quick render with a copper material I am playing with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW chain rope ring.png   chain rope ring.jpg  
    Last edited by oscarl48; 09-13-2018 at 10:10 PM.

The discussion thread on snowflakes got me thinking on how to do it on blender. Again super easy and quick using mirror and also duplicate and rotate to get the same pattern around a circle. Under five minutes each from start to CW pattern.

Recommend shallow carves of .125 with some draft on the first snowflake due to the thin material.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW snowflake examples.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Very Pretty, Oscar!

But...did you know that snowflakes normally have hexagonal symmetry? (Six points or sides)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 22 of 61 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast