Page 20 of 61 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Using blender 3d to create stl for CW pattern

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    It always takes me a bit to time to figure out how to do that stuff for design layering in designer since its not my main pattern modeling software. I always have to keep playing with merge and clip carving settings before I accidentally stumble on what I need. I tend to forget what I did between pattern building.
    You're not the only one. I still struggle with this.

Connie
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Connie, yes and it does drive me crazy at times. I just spent an hour trying to figure out how to do something. And I know I've asked the question before.

I finally found the thread and it was you that helped me out on it along with the rest of the gang. How to texture a font. This time I am saving a screen shot so I don't re-forget. I've built a fairly large library of textures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW texture font settings.png  

Another benefit of using a 3d program is you can visualize the piece you are building to get a sense of proportion. Building a spice rack for the kitchen and this allowed me to show the wife and get an approval to proceed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spice rack.png  

And here is the actual project completed this morning. I've ordered the glass spice jars but they won't be in until mid-week. So for now just putting the different spice containers I have. Decorated the spice rack with a jalapeno pattern I whipped up. My favorite spice is "hot". Ghost pepper and Carolina Reaper are good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4944 small.JPG   CW jalapenos.png  

A member on the blenderartist website shared his node setup on how he creates depth maps. It is a lot better than my method so going back and redoing a few of my old renders with it. Here is the M60 tank at a different angle. I purposefully took the long perspective to see how it would deal with a deep model.

For anyone learning blender this website is a good resource.

For new Carvewright members, you can import grey scale depth maps into designer to create new patterns. Its a great way to make patterns if you don't have all the advanced add-ons. There is a steep learning curve to make good depth maps but it is doable with a little bit of patience and perseverance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tank AO bas relief method.jpg  

So many tools, so little time! I really want to learn to make better 3D patterns but haven't been able to dedicate the time to it. I downloaded Fusion 360 a couple of days ago--but again haven't made the time to spend with it other than viewing a couple of the tutorials. It looks like a pretty steep learning curve before I can make something usable. Someday perhaps!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

George
    Life is short....drink the good wine first!

It can be a pretty steep learning curve. But you also bring up another amazing software package. Fusion 360 is another package for pattern building. In my opinion, it is a better choice between blender or fusion 360 for 3d modeling making for physical implementation (3d printing or cnc). Blender is geared for art/entertainment. Fusion 360 has CAD/CAM pedigree that allows more precise model creation. I have not used fusion 360 so can't state which one is harder to learn but my spidey sense tells me blender is probably a lot harder because of the non-standard user interface and additional bells and whistles.

Maybe some of the fusion 360 users can share their thoughts. Fusion 360 is one of the industry standards.

I use Fusion 360 for my 3d needs. I am not proficient by any means. I typically design cookie cutters to make with my 3d printer. There is a great youtube channel with around 100 tutorial videos on different tools and designing methods. Search for Lars Christensen. I beli eve he puts out several videos per week. Just my .02 on Fusion.

Tim

Tim, thanks for the info. So definitely an option for any folks that want to try it out. There is a free trial for the software and then some options to continue using for free if you fall under specific categories.

After 4 years of learning blender and finally feeling half way competent with it, I am sticking with it. She's not pretty but she's the one I brought to the dance.
    (though I will open zbrush one of these days)
    Last edited by oscarl48; 03-25-2018 at 02:06 AM.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    A member on the blenderartist website shared his node setup on how he creates depth maps. It is a lot better than my method so going back and redoing a few of my old renders with it. Here is the M60 tank at a different angle. I purposefully took the long perspective to see how it would deal with a deep model.

For anyone learning blender this website is a good resource.

For new Carvewright members, you can import grey scale depth maps into designer to create new patterns. Its a great way to make patterns if you don't have all the advanced add-ons. There is a steep learning curve to make good depth maps but it is doable with a little bit of patience and perseverance.
    Is there any info on this node setup?

Page 20 of 61 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast