Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Using blender 3d to create stl for CW pattern

That's hilarious Oscar! Really cool!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Blender foundation has released a series of 25 instruction videos aimed at new Blender users. The Blender foundation are the guys developing Blender 3d.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=kes2qmijy7w

Focus on the modeling tutorials. The rest is pretty awesome but not used for pattern building.

- O

Thanks Oscar for both - I saved the address. Now I just have to do it.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Default candle holder blender technique

myshop1044 had a really cool experiment on how to make a candle holder. In blender it is super easy to make the circular patterns like that. You just have to define the outline of the model and then apply the screw modifier. Tada...you have a model you can export as an stl.

I used 64 steps to define the circle and then applied a subsurf modifier but you can just use a larger step number to refine the geometry and skip the subsurf. Like Perry said, many ways to skin the cat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails candle holder profile.png   CW candle holder3.png  

Another one for my library. So far I've spent 2 days working on this model (about 8 hours). I still need to build the accessories for it. Still deciding whether I want to go red dot or scope for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW future AR frame2.png  

Its been a busy last few months with trying to remodel portions of the house and building some larger pieces like the tv stand and work bench. Finishing up a garden swing now. As you would have it, I am one 2x4 short for some cross braces. Should be complete hopefully next weekend. I have been really focused on learning the artistic side of 3d rendering and how materials and textures work on blender and other software. I bought zbrush and I haven't opened it since it means another large expenditure in time to learn the interface. I think the learning curve will be shorter than blender but its taken me over three years of playing with blender to get to where I am at (an advanced beginner).

Hopefully I can find some time to start learning that software as well. But wanted to show a small update of the few patterns I have built in the last few months. Whenever I have a chance to test carve some of them I will put into the pattern shop. A few will end up in your Christmas stockings.

The peacock was a commission piece for a fireplace mantel.

Showing off a few examples of them as rendered pieces.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW project update.png   reloading dies small.jpg   steampunk sword small.jpg   yarn ball eevee.jpg  

AR frame texture small.jpg  

oscarl48

Looking good!!!

You will love Zbrush. Yeah the interface and the way things get done is a whole new learning curve but since you have 3d experience it will go much faster. Check out Gnomon Workshop - https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/ or Pluralsight - https://www.pluralsight.com/ both have excellent training and month to month memberships. They will bring up to speed super quick. Any polygon modelor and zbrush and you can create anything. Lol only limits are our abilities.

btw - I am assuming you have a tablet and pen. If not it's pretty much a must for zbrush.

Good Luck
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

8. Default

Zbrush is pretty good. You can set it up to use gimp as the z app link software. There's several ways to bring raster images in to make height. That's what I like to do.

John, thanks I'll definitely look at the sites. I do have a tablet and pen and I agree its a must for sculpting. Blender has okay sculpting capability but zbrush is the standard so couldn't pass on it for too long, but I am dreading the learning curve as it feels like I just climbed passed another learning plateau in blender. I'll just have to carve sometime somewhere. Who needs sleep anyway.

Alan, I will also look into doing that. Blender does the same and I am curious to see which one does it better in different scenarios.

- O

Newest pattern for my library.

Would love to see what other folks are building for themselves.

Added rendered image of the model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW really fancy shell.png   really fancy shell3 copy small.jpg  
    Last edited by oscarl48; 12-10-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast