Page 14 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Using blender 3d to create stl for CW pattern

Now you are talking my language, Oscar. That is a great pattern. I think it will be a fitting pattern for your mom's clock.

2. Default

looks to be another great pattern from you!

Sharon, Norm, thanks. Hopefully it carves well. Have the clock design down so hopefully I can post finished pictures this weekend. Should be a one day build.

a speed modeling exercise. Model took about 3 minutes to model.

Heart was a box with three loop cuts and then subdivision surface applied. Single top wing wing modeled using a single box and four loop cuts and then subdivision surface applied. Duplicated and moved down, rotated and shrunk x3. Set origin to center of grid and then applied mirror modifier for opposite side. Inserted circle, extruded vertices twice inward and then merged at center. Selected outer circle loop and extruded out and down (for circle bevel). Selected on band on the circle, used deselect checkered command and then extruded face down. Complete.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW winged heart.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I never did find my microphone from when I moved but have since purchased a new one. Is there any basic model or technique you want me to make a short video on?

Are there any blender users left?

- O

I've shared this technique before but super easy and fast. This was a stucci texture. Its a 30 sec piece of art.

Add a plane
    Go to edit mode: Subdivide 9 times
    Go to object mode
    Add texture (Stucci in this case)
    Apply displace modifier
    set strength of modifier (usually around .05 to .3)
    done
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW stucci texture art.png  

Does this look like old broken plaster? Trying a new procedural setup and I am torn whether this looks right. Probably under 30 seconds to create the texture.

noise texture > math node minimum > math node multiply > material output displacement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW old plaster texture.png  

Quick Tip: Use mesh deform modifier in blender to get similar results as designer edit envelope.

Except it will be in 3d and depending on how much detail you assign your deform object you will have a lot more control over the deform.

place an object (cube,sphere,... etc.) that encloses your the 3d object you want deformed. Select the object you are deforming and use the mesh deform modifier. select the object you will use to deform the 3d model. Hit bind and you are ready to start deforming your 3d object.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW OG deform.png  

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Does this look like old broken plaster? Trying a new procedural setup and I am torn whether this looks right. Probably under 30 seconds to create the texture.

noise texture > math node minimum > math node multiply > material output displacement

Not sure if it is plaster or not, thinking that would be determined by the rest of the carve design. What it looks like to me is deterioration on a wall or brick, block of some sort, but yes it could also be plaster.

lol. Thanks. Every time I play with the software I learn something new. Hopefully these little tips spark a little interest in picking up the software.

It is a beast and it has been getting even more complicated as they've added new capabilities to the program. In the next major release there is an interesting development. They are rebuilding the UI in different versions depending on what the artist is using Blender for. For basic modeling, what you need for pattern building, it will be a streamlined interface without all the doodads for everything else. Not sure when it will be released but it may be a little bit though. We are at 2.78 and the next major release is 2.8. So we still have 2.79 to go through.

Page 14 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast