Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Using blender 3d to create stl for CW pattern

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Okay. I was way over thinking the project. I just loaded the spoon and cut slots in it. Instant fork. Took about 30 secs. Way longer to convert it into an actual pattern. It was right at 100 megs so designer kept crashing. Had to go back and reduce the size of the model but finally got it to work.
    I see you got my email thx again
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Henry, I did. Sorry I didn't reply back right away. Too many projects too little time.

I hear ya not enough time in a day
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Okay. I was way over thinking the project. I just loaded the spoon and cut slots in it. Instant fork. Took about 30 secs. Way longer to convert it into an actual pattern. It was right at 100 megs so designer kept crashing. Had to go back and reduce the size of the model but finally got it to work.
    well here the fork to match
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0696.JPG   IMG_0697.JPG  
    Henry

Henry, those came out really cool. Awesome job adding names to the hearts. I would never have thought of that. Perfect gifts. Nicely done.

I was a little worried on the strength of the fork teeth but they look like they are beefy enough.

- O

My sister visited from Houston and fell in love with the wall clock I had built so she went home with it. My mom saw it and also fell in love with it. So I now have to build another clock. Though the wall clock was simple to build it had a lot of design flaws. I could go back and refine the design and fix them but one thing in building in solid hardwood is that it is heavy. So for my mom I am going to build a simple mantel clock. Another feature in blender is you can design in a 3d environment and see how the proportions look. This is what I have so far but I am pleased with the visual proportions of the design (I added materials to the model to see how it would look using black walnut lumber).

I still have to figure out the carvings I want on it. It will be one of a kind and I will be using patterns from my personal library. Not sure yet if I want to do super fancy or clean lines with a few elegant carvings.

Suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mantel clock design.jpg  

Here is the first pattern. These will be on either side of the clock enclosure on the back.

The main elements (rose, leaf, butterfly) I had previously built so it was just putting them together.

I've shared the leaf and butterfly on the forum and there are better roses that have also been shared plus the vines and ribbons are easy to build in designer.

P.S. Thought I'd share the model rendered image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW rose floral inset.png   rose floral inset.jpg  
    Last edited by oscarl48; 03-19-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Just tried cucumber flavored vodka. Don't know if I like it or not. Have to try another sample to get a better idea.

The pattern is of the bottle pouring into shot glass only. The rest was because I could. Vodka is good but not entirely sure about cucumber flavored vodka. Off to sample some more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW vodka and shot glass.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

A relatively new feature in blender is software generated trees. Use the following Add>curve>sapling tree gen. You will then get several pages of variable values you can change to tweak the tree. It is a bit challenging since there are a lot of variables on multiple pages. There are some good tutorials on how to use the feature on youtube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW willow tree.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've been out of cheap lumber for a few weeks but I finally have my truck back from the shop. I will try to get to home depot this weekend and pick up some poplar to do some of my test carves.

Finally have an idea for my mom's mantel clock. I have this angel pattern I will be using for the top. Sharon, I don't think she would appreciate my skull and chaos symbol that I used for mine.

I did screw up the front hand but I am going to wait and see how bad it looks before tweaking the pattern. Overall pretty happy with it.

Model sculpted in blender. I wish I was better at it but small incremental improvements.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW angel with cross.png  

Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast