Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Using blender 3d to create stl for CW pattern

My newest addition to my library. Probably some of the ugliest 3d topology modeling I've done so far but the outcome hides it well. You want to have clean topology and this is a complete and total mess but it works.

I wanted to add an additional line of geometry and it actually crisscrossed itself three times.

About 8 hours of modeling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW acanthus leaf centerpiece.png  

Blender 2.78a has been released and is a major update with the number of available add-ons that have been added. There is again a nice level learning curve for some of the new features. I haven't even started playing with it but it looks pretty impressive. The sculpting features while not anywhere zbrush level keep getting better and better.

A quick sculpting exercise. My version of a Frankenstein monster bust. I lost a lot of detail exporting as STL to designer due to the height of the model. I may try a bas-relief image process and see the difference. The pattern of the bust is 4x3in in the test image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW Frankenstein bust.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

My wife has signed up for her first craft show as a vendor and has asked for a few items from me to add to her stock. I am giving her all of my prototype carving but decided to make a handful of spoons for her (if I can get my dust collector up and running this weekend).

My first attempt was rejected. She did not like it so sharing it with you'all. Hopefully someone will find it useful.

I am also only uploading the patterns. This will give folks some flexibility since I have not carved it and don't know how they will carve.

****For the blender users, I have not seen any cool spoon design pictures. The models take like 5-10 minutes to make. The aesthetic design of course can take hours to finalize to make something pretty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW cross love spoon simple.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Going for a simple design. Wife okayed it so will be carving hopefully a few tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW simple flower Welsh spoon.png  

Nice. I want to see how that turns out.

Oscar, I agree with your wife (women have to stick together) this last spoon is a more pleasing spoon than the first one. Should be a good seller for her.

A friend tried to console me once on my art. He said, "you know artists are only recognized for their genius after they are dead. People going to really like your art when you are dead!" lol

I am only crying a little bit inside.

Worked on my dust collector this morning. Completely clogged with shavings. Cleaned it out and reattached the hoses and started once and then failed to start again. Dead as a door nail.

I kicked it, hit it with a hammer, yelled and cursed at it, everything I know to repair electrical equipment and nothing worked. It stayed dead. I heard if your shoot them with a high powered rifle they sometimes start working again but I didn't believe that one.

I ran to harbor freight and bought a replacement plus tons of stuff I don't need or already have three of.

I just started the test carve for the spoon. About an hour on normal. We'll see how it turns out.

- O

The pattern worked out fine. The two sided carving also came out as usual. About a 1/16th - 1/8 difference between the two sides. Also because they were not lined up it did not pierce so had to go to the band saw. Not terrible but a lot of hand work to clean up. I finished the rough cleaning with files and tomorrow I'll clean up with sandpaper, stain and laquor. I'll post the final pictures tomorrow but this is what I got today.

At some point I'll have to figure out the process/procedures to get both sides to line up better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails simple Welsh spoon test carve.jpg  

10. Default

If you could make a jig to put a punch mark on both sides of the board in the center then jogging to those positions as jog to center. That would be the best bet for getting both sides lined up. Along with using a well squared board.

To make the jig you could put a couple of nails into long boards with the nails barely protruding, and then bolt the boards together with a board size in between that you want to space them out with, making sure to bolt them together while the nails are lined up using another squared board with lines drawn on it.

Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast