Page 23 of 61 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Using blender 3d to create stl for CW pattern

Dang it Michael. There you go bursting my fantasy world where snowflakes can have as many points as I want. lol

Actually I didn't.

Back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Dang it Michael. There you go bursting my fantasy world where snowflakes can have as many points as I want. lol

Actually I didn't.

Back to the drawing board.
    Another way to look at it is, "anything goes" in a Virtual World!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Okay. A more realistic snowflake I hope.

Geometric shapes are super easy by creating one branch and then duplicating and rotating to the appropriate degree. To get a 6 figure object you need to copy and rotate by 60 degrees.

I then applied a solidify modifier to thicken it and subdivision modifier x1 to smooth it a little.

The second pattern is the other half of the model after cutting it in half. A lot of creative options to get different patterns.

And for fun a quick render of the model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW snowflake example 3'.png   snowflake example2 small.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Very pretty, again! Nice work, Oscar.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Michael, thanks again.

For the blender users:
    It is a balancing act on how detailed and deep you can get and the 1/16 carving bit and the material you will be carving. With softer lumber like pine, poplar I would be concerned with tear out and would add draft knowing that may change the look of the pattern. It may be better to do a bold and thick pattern where you don't have to worry about tear out. You can also design the pattern to be carved shallow to reduce the amount of issues during carving.

If you are going to carve in hardwoods and especially in the higher Janka scale go to town. I have literally sliced myself with purple heart carved thin edges. As long as you have a sharp bit you should have no issues.

Just part of the design process.

I know the last few patterns were not very complex but you do not need a lot of geometry to get complex patterns.

The first picture shows the geometry that I made.

I then mirrored, duplicated and rotated at 60 degrees.

I then joined the pieces.

Duplicated and rotated at 30 degrees and then reduced the size.

Easy-peasy.

But with such thin areas I would be concerned with tear out on softer lumber.

As a bonus did another quick render of the model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW blender snowflake setup.png   CW snowflake example 4.png   snowflake example3 small.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Is there anyone still trying to learn blender for 3d modeling/pattern building? Its been a while since any one posted anything related to pattern building.

Hi Oscar,

I have many other modeling programs (including the CW modeling and Sculptor software) so I haven’t taken any time to learn/use Blender for many years now. However, I do hope others are able to take the time to learn it. It’s a wonderful program, plus you are a great resource if folks have questions about it!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Michael, thank you for responding. You already do wonderful patterns using your software so I was asking some of the new folks that may be potentially learning 3d modeling using this free tool.

Blender is about to get a massive update. Blender 2.8 beta (major upgrade) should be coming out at the end of the month. They are completely changing the user interface and capabilities of the software. I will have to re-learn most of it again. They are removing one of the render engines and adding a new native one. There are several render engines that will be hosted on the software. Each engine has its own node set-up process. It can be a massive effort to become proficient with each individual engine. They are all very powerful.

Too much?

This is my take on my Family Crest. My Family Crest does not have motto, crest, supporters,...you get the idea. All my crest signifies is that at some point someone with my family name had a castle (and probably a small one). So other than the lion and the castle, everything else is a decoration.

So any critiques on the design are welcome.

Plan is for some variations of this to go to the pattern depot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gallegos Family Crest.jpg  

I lit a good cigar. Poured me a good vodka and water drink. Threw a few logs in the fire pit and have the CW carving along my coat of arms. It is absolutely gorgeous outside in East Texas. 68 degrees.

I should be able to stain and finish tomorrow. 20"x14" in oak at .25 depth. At normal it is saying a 2 hour carve.

I'll post pictures tomorrow. If it looks good, I'll have 4 more to carve for the family.

Page 23 of 61 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast