Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Using blender 3d to create stl for CW pattern

Oscar, thanks so much for sharing your videos on Blender 3d! It is very inspirational - I know everything has a learning curve, but you've done an awesome job of making it look so easy (I'm sure it isn't... but I definitely would like to try it out sometime!)
    Loretta

Loretta, I hope they are of some use. I won't lie. The learning curve on blender is a very tall cliff, but once you get over the first hurdle of using the user interface and how the basic modifiers work an entire world opens up. It is astounding to me what it can do and its functionality. With the CW stl import add-on, it offers almost seamless integration to my 3d models. Though using the grey gradient depth maps allows you to get functionality without the add-on.

Good luck whenever you pick up blender and let me know if you hit any stumbling blocks I can help with.

Being a totally new beginner in Blender 3D I have found that watching youtube videos for beginners really helps. Also making a print out of the keyboard shortcuts to have on hand is very helpful. I did finally make a gear with the center extruded to the center. Practice is going to be my new thing to do. Thanks again, now I'm going to make the grand kids some gear toys...
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Youtube has been my wonderful teacher for the last 2 years. You hit it right on the nail. Practice, practice, practice.

Sounds great, thanks Oscar!!

A niftly little technique for making bullet patterns for the CW. This is as close as magic as you can get in my opinion. One second you have nothing and two button pushes later you have a 3d bullet model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ctM...ature=youtu.be

I added a few more bits and pieces to the 45 ACP bullet (primer and caliber name on the end of the bullet).

You can duplicate the bullets in blender and change the perspective of the bullets so when you export to stl you will have a full scene to start with. I took a wonderful model by cephei on Blenderswap website and created a quick pattern from it to create this scene.

A great resource for models is the blenderswap website. Majority (not all but most) of the artists are trying to get there name out there so they are only requesting credit for their model and it is free to use in all endeavors, commercial and otherwise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1911 scene.png  

Cut my first two nuclear pattern gears for the kinetic sculpture. They seem to mesh real well. Just a whole lot more to go.

I need to follow my own advice. I always say to double check your cutting settings and with me going back and forth between models and patterns I left the default tab heights on the first gear. One of the inside cutouts broke lose. I was lucky the bit didn't snap. It was brand new. First cut today. Thankfully all was good and the carving finished with no other issue.

I still have to sand them flat. I think I went over board. I re-sawed the maple board down the middle and then glued the blocks with the grain 90 degrees to each other. They are only 4 inches across but .75 inches thick so I don't believe they should warp too much if I leave the board alone.

p.s. uploaded the gear in case anyone wanted to play with the pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first 2 nuclear gears.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by oscarl48; 03-28-2016 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Added gear pattern

Sometime within the next week I'll make a quick video tutorial on how to make basic spoon patterns and this totally non-functional decoration spoon that my wife wanted. I may carve it by then as well.

This pattern took 10 minutes to make but I cheated by including a model I had previously made (kokopelli).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kokopelli spoon.png  

The spoon tutorial video is live and it is pretty badly narrated but I do have key screen capture on. These have been great learning exercises for me on video creation and editing. At some point I will learn how to talk and move the mouse at the same time.

The pattern itself is nothing special but the model building technique shows how easy it is to make one of these. Took about 5 minutes to make a spoon model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIC_87yxPQg

I'll throw the spoon pattern in the pattern sharing section.

Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast