Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Using blender 3d to create stl for CW pattern

Default Jagged star tutorial

I think I'll keep using this thread. I learned how to show the keys typed in blender so I can start building basic tutorials.

Here is a super fast tutorial on how to make the jagged star I posted under Holiday and Seasonal. Still experimenting with videos so not very advanced or professional but the tutorial shows how easy it is to make this pattern using blender and modifiers. As an alternate do the same without the modifier.

https://youtu.be/9ICRDWqwqlg

I did not show exporting as stl because its pretty self explanatory. Ensure under user preference stl export check box is checked and then on the main screen select export and then from the sub menu select stl.

Your are inspiring me to find time (don't know how) to learn blender.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Clint,

Its not the most user friendly software in the world but you can't beat the price.

Oscar

Default Spartan helmet model in under 3 minutes

Spartan helmet pattern in under 3 minutes. Obviously you can and should take longer to clean it up and make it look better but the technique shows how to create this pattern in a matter of minutes.

https://youtu.be/m3zDK4Xtnu0

Pattern created enclosed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW fast spartan helmet.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Last one...candle pattern

Last pattern build. Another super easy pattern that shows the amazing power of mixing different techniques in model creation. Its a simple candle 3d model (pattern enclosed). When importing to CW Designer you can bisect and select the side that is showing to maximize height. Total build time under 3 minutes. Take your time and master the simple techniques and you will be able to create masterpieces.

https://youtu.be/06tPUjW4cDg

This was fun and learned a lot. Hopefully whetted some of the novice pattern builders to delve into a 3d package. There are several very good programs out there. Blender 3d is just one of many though again you can't really beat the price.

This is only one method in building patterns. Each has its own place and skills required but they all can make great looking patterns.

P.S. I still have a long ways to go but feel a lot more comfortable in building patterns.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW candle.jpg  

You make it look so easy, I played with blender a long time ago, I need to try it again

Been out making sawdust. Cleaned my CW and re-lubed everything. It is carving pretty right now. (knock on wood)

Once you get over the first big cliff with blender (understanding the user interface functions) it changes completely how you work with the software. Instead of the mechanics you can start focusing on the artist side of creating models.

Hope you pick it up again. It has been a blast to learn so far.

For the new Blender 3d users, something I learned in the last year was there are module add-ons that expand functionality to the base software. The modules sometimes axpand a function while other facilitate and simplify them. There are some modules I could not live with out. There are very good ones for purchase but there are literally hundreds of free modules for inclusion. The can simplify your modeling and really speed up your project development. Search for Blender 3d with your preferred browser and several site repositories will come up.

Edit: uploaded pattern to sports and recreation thread in pattern sharing section

In the last two days I have had two aha moments with blender as I am trying to learn how to use sculpt features better. My unstructured learning of going to different feature to different feature has not helped. But I just learned two new features for me which made me feel a little bit dumb for not knowing them earlier.

Sculpting can be incredibly computer processer intensive if you are actually sculpting all of the different vertices in real time. My old machine would crash around the 1.2-1.5 million vertices. I went and bought another computer with much better computer graphics chip but it could only hang at the 2 million vertices and below. Those are really dense meshes and a lot of computations.

Blender has a modifier called multiresolution. When applied it allows the system to approximate how the model will look without actually applying the subdivision. It allows you to sculpt without fear of the system crashing (as easily) and speeds up the process, at least for me.

The second feature I learned was the f key in sculpting mode. It allows you to change the size of your brush on the fly. Again increasing modeling speed for me.

Pretty basic features that should have been in my tool box from the beginning but just figured them out after two years.

Wonder twins powers activate! In the form of...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails carvewright power.PNG  

Okay. Finally did a voiced over video. Sorry its not a tutorial. Its a demonstration video on how to use three different techniques within blender to create carvewright patterns.

This was more for my learning on how to do these type of videos and ensure I had the right software tools.

Its obvious I have to relearn how to speak again. I used to do a lot of public speaking in the early part of my career but its obviously a skill set that I have lost.

I believe the video may have a little bit of value but it is embarrassingly bad. I'll leave it up for a little bit before I delete it.

https://youtu.be/SoXtzqSFprU

One thing I didn't highlight very much is that all the images and even the stl can be post processed to optimize the pattern. The 2d images can be cleaned up in Photoshop, Corel, or other graphics package and the stl can be tweaked in blender or other 3d software package.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails airplane.png   airplane2.png  
    Last edited by oscarl48; 03-15-2016 at 08:42 PM. Reason: updated link

Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast