Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Using blender 3d to create stl for CW pattern

I've been searching for that sweet spot where the hair has texture and depth but doesn't overwhelm the carving. I started doing smooth surfaces for hair when I started creating 3d models and that's great for a specific look but I've been trying to get a more realistic look to my patterns.

Talking about different techniques...change in topic. I just learned how to makes long ribbons that are super easy to make. (Yes its super obvious but I am slow at times)

Create a curve with several twists and turns.

Add a plane. Elongate one direction, shrink in the perpendicular direction, (create the long ribbon) and add 50 loop cuts and then subdivide (1 or 2 times depending on how sharp are the twists and turns to smooth it out) the plane. Apply curve modifier to the plane using the curve. Walla. Instant ribbon.

You can go into edit mode and tweak the mesh to get the specific look you need.

The enclosed pattern literally took 3 minutes to create the 3d model. Super easy super fast. To tweak it until it actually is exactly what you want can take a bit of time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW scrolls in front of column.png  
    Last edited by oscarl48; 07-03-2016 at 04:14 PM. Reason: missed a step

I encourage all blender users to dabble in the sculpting features of the program. There is amazing potential in it. Blender may not be as user friendly or as optimized for sculpting as commercial packages but it is still very capable. As an example the first picture is of my poor attempt at modeling a rearing horse. Took me about 4 hours to get that result. It is the base of my Pegasus in the depot. I was just playing around today practicing sculpting and the second picture is the result. Took about 30 minutes. After two years I am just now learning this feature. Wish I would have started learning it earlier to compliment the modeling I had been doing. So just throwing it out there.

I am still learning and have a really long ways to go. But glad you guys are joining me on this little trip. Would love to see some of your efforts. If you see some of my early efforts you are probably already way of head of me at that stage as pattern builders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW rearing horse modeled.png   CW rearing horse sculpted.png  

Nice horse Oscar! Except he's not anatomically correct. LOL!
    Steve

ssshhhh. You are going to hurt his feelings. lol

Totally jealous of the fireplace mantel from the conference pictures. Totally loved it. I really liked the family crest as the center piece. I knew I had a family crest so decided to create my version of it. Sculpted a new heraldic lion even though a very good one comes with the basic patterns. I wanted every piece to be my creation.

I should be able to test carve it next weekend. My pile of projects is getting bigger and bigger.

This one will be going onto a house address sign. May try painting again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gallegos family crest.png  

Oscar,
    That's beautiful, plenty of detail, very very nice!
    Gary
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

Gary, thank you. Can't wait to carve and see if it actually works.

Great pattern Oscar. Will be interesting to see how it comes out.

WOW! Oscar. I did a crest a couple of years ago for a family reunion and it was no where near as good as yours. Beautiful crest. Great Job! Sure wish I had enough smarts and patience to learn Blender... maybe some day...
    George

George, thank you and definitely not smarts but there was a lot of patience or more over perseverance. I did a test carve today and I need to tweak a few elements. The banner is way too high and the baroque dragon is too low. I originally tweaked in CW designer but I have more control in blender so will go back and redo those portions. Designer is usually the way to go because its simple and fast.

The flow is usually Corel Paint (or other graphics program), Blender, and finally CW designer for clean up. I usually apply a smooth and/or blur to round over the really sharp edges I leave using blender.

I'm pretty pleased with the lion as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4274.JPG   IMG_4272.JPG  

Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast