Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using blender 3d to create stl for CW pattern

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Using blender 3d to create stl for CW pattern

I was asked if I could create a tutorial video on how I create my patterns. Its been a somewhat long road to get to where I am at and I am nowhere near being proficient yet.

The whole skill sets in creating good tutorials is also an entirely different thing as well. So here is my first video creation as an experiment and as a learning point for myself. It is not a tutorial but a quick over the shoulder look at how I make a simple cross. The entire process took maybe three minutes from opening blender 3d to having the CW pattern. This is not indicative of what a complex pattern takes. I have literally taken several weeks to build a complex 3d model. The skills value in creating 3d models is cross platform which can be used in 3d printing and general cnc pattern creation.

https://youtu.be/dCphETgQfww

Youtube has been my #1 instructor in learning blender 3d. I have purchased several books on blender 3d which were also very valuable tools but the videos cemented my learning. Like everything else practice and more practice helps fine tune the skills. Again nowhere near proficient but a ton of fun.

Very well done Oscar. You're gettin' purdy darn good at this.

Thanks Suzanne. Making the video was way harder than I thought it would be since I was putting two videos together with different formats and video size. I played with video like 15 years ago and I've forgotten everything. I still have to figure out how to add sound correctly as a sound track.

I can record sound as I do the screen capture but don't like the idea. Too many background noises and broken speech. I have trouble doing two things at once. talking and walking at the same time is a challenge.

Being a totally new beginner in Blender 3D I have found that watching youtube videos for beginners really helps. Also making a print out of the keyboard shortcuts to have on hand is very helpful. I did finally make a gear with the center extruded to the center. Practice is going to be my new thing to do. Thanks again, now I'm going to make the grand kids some gear toys...
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Youtube has been my wonderful teacher for the last 2 years. You hit it right on the nail. Practice, practice, practice.

Your are inspiring me to find time (don't know how) to learn blender.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Clint,

Its not the most user friendly software in the world but you can't beat the price.

Oscar

Default Spartan helmet model in under 3 minutes

Spartan helmet pattern in under 3 minutes. Obviously you can and should take longer to clean it up and make it look better but the technique shows how to create this pattern in a matter of minutes.

https://youtu.be/m3zDK4Xtnu0

Pattern created enclosed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW fast spartan helmet.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Last one...candle pattern

Last pattern build. Another super easy pattern that shows the amazing power of mixing different techniques in model creation. Its a simple candle 3d model (pattern enclosed). When importing to CW Designer you can bisect and select the side that is showing to maximize height. Total build time under 3 minutes. Take your time and master the simple techniques and you will be able to create masterpieces.

https://youtu.be/06tPUjW4cDg

This was fun and learned a lot. Hopefully whetted some of the novice pattern builders to delve into a 3d package. There are several very good programs out there. Blender 3d is just one of many though again you can't really beat the price.

This is only one method in building patterns. Each has its own place and skills required but they all can make great looking patterns.

P.S. I still have a long ways to go but feel a lot more comfortable in building patterns.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW candle.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

nice video, you made the blender work look very easy.

dave

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast