Page 16 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Using blender 3d to create stl for CW pattern

I've been running some more experiments with meshlab decimation filters. They are impressive but going back to the discussion. It is a balancing act on keeping the right amount of geometry for the results you are needing.

Here is an example. Instead of using a ridiculously large object I used a simple model I just built and applied the decimation filter. You can really see the difference in the two models. The bottom model is the original and the top model has had the meshlab decimation filter applied. First the quads were converted to tris which can give weird geometry when exported as STL and some detail was lost. The threads and bottom handle are now a little funky because of the tris.

This was just an example. I would never actually use decimation on this model since it was fairly small to begin with but just to illustrate what you are doing to a model when you reduce geometry with these functions.

Blender does exactly the same thing to a model as part of its decimate modifier. Just have to keep an eye on artifacts that may appear after the filter/modifier. I believe meshlabs does do a better job at this though.

The simplified model would still make an okay pattern even with reduction in geometry though different from the original.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails g clamp5.jpg  

Oscar, do I need to learn Greek to do this stuff?
    MT, thanks - I copied it to Word, saved it and printed it (now in a plastic sleeve).
    Clnt
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Clint, sorry I somehow missed the question. I follow two folks on YouTube who have pretty good basic user tutorials. Blenderguru and tutor4u. If you look at their introductory tutorials they will walk you through the basics. Their later tutorials will take you all the way to intermediate use. Focus on the modeling tutorials. The materials and animation tutorials are awesome but complete useless for making patterns.

- O

Oscar - I just had an idea. How about "Time Waits for No Man" with an hour glass? That could turn out to be a cool project.
    Mike - that could be a project of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Oscar - I just had an idea. How about "Time Waits for No Man" with an hour glass? That could turn out to be a cool project.
    Mike - that could be a project of the month.
    That would be a fun project. Maybe a kitchen egg timer with a real hour glass.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Scooby, I get weird pictures in my head when I try to figure out imagery for this. Are you talking a real hour glass design?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW time waits for no man].png  

Exactly. How about "A watched pot never boils"

A little too weird. Mike is more along my thinking.

lol. Good. Michael I am glad you got it. I am still a little lost.

For a project like this i think a lathe is probably better suited for a traditional hourglass.

- O

I would like to see the kitchen timer hour glass as a POM. Michael get busy!!! I am sure your wife would agree! Looking for it before the next conference.

Page 16 of 61 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast