Thread: Hillsboro Craft Fair 2015

Default Hillsboro Craft Fair 2015

I participated in the Hillsboro Craft Fair yesterday here in Hillsboro Kansas, just 20 miles from me. It's one of the bigger shows, over 400 vendors and average crowd of 20,000 people. All handcrafted stuff. It's the biggest show i have been in yet, was crazy being crammed together with everyone else. Had a pretty good day, lots of interest as usual, sales were OK. Here are some pics of my set up. Any suggestions from the experienced are appreciated. My biggest issue is, with only 10x10 space, where am I supposed to be? I found if I stayed in the booth, people were less likely to walk in and look at everything, but I can't stand out in the flow of traffic either. Do you give up booth space in the corner for a chair?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI3384.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	946.4 KB 
ID:	78020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI3385.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	959.4 KB 
ID:	78021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI3386.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	952.2 KB 
ID:	78022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI3387.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	953.2 KB 
ID:	78023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI3388.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	949.7 KB 
ID:	78024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI3389.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	938.6 KB 
ID:	78025
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

There seems to be too many vendors for the area. Looking at the third picture, you may consider having the right and back tables the same length and the left table shorter( 5 footer). We are allotted more area around our tents.
    the small area on the left front would allow you to sit or stand and greet your customers with a smile.
    you have great items and well laid out. You may look for shows with less vendors.
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

We just started renting 2 10x10 booths and it has increased our sales.
    Many who just rent one move a table out front and sit behind it as people won't go in anyway.
    it also puts your merchandise out front closer to them.
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

I agree with Perry, near the front would be better. Take this as my two cents, and don't spend it all in one place :

The clocks that are laying flat, or any of the plaques that are laying down really, think of standing them up. Inexpensive plate holders from a dollar store? Larger version of your knife displays? We created short "crates" from inexpensive cedar fence boards and they flip through them. Found the longer they stay in the space the more likely they are to buy. It also gets more stuff up on the table. If you are walking by and see color, or your team, or something else that you are interested in, you are more likely to come in. Make it so that you can see cool stuff through folks just standing around.

Think about ways to get your hanging signs angled a little towards the front. If we use pegs, we put a straw on the rear peg so the rear sticks out further than the front. Not sure how I would do that with the chicken wire, but I like that look

Mix up what is in those front crates. I would presume that most of your stuff runs along that line and I would move on, most likely wouldn't look further in the booth. So much to see in the show that I want to spend my time wisely on things I might buy.

We built 22" deep tables. I will admit that I am claustrophobic, and spending any time with several other people between 2 30" tables in a 10' space was a no go for me!! Again, cedar boards for the tops and supports, with PVC flanges and legs. Painted to look like stone Break down pretty flat, very light to haul around.

After 4 shows, still don't have pics of the set up. Perhaps after the one at the end of Oct.

I sure like your stuff, I'd get some of the boxes up to the front!

Take all of this with a grain of salt, by no means an expert yet!

Great, thanks for the advice! You are right on several points... everyone stopped and looked at the banks. If I had a dollar for everytime I heard "oh they are banks!" I would have made a bunch... so I need a sign that says what they are. They have always gotten lots of attention so that's why they are up front. I like the idea on the clocks, will work on that. I ended up moving two of the nicer boxes up to the front later on. When the sun was coming in I put the curly maple one up there and boy that figure popped! Got lots of looks but people don't seem to understand a hand made box like that is worth what I'm asking, and most would ask more.

It positively makes a difference if the seller isn't in the booth. At the Vet reunion earlier this year I was able to sit outside the back of the tent (of course the back panel wasn't there) and most people came in to look... it helped that I had my dog there (Great Dane) and everyone wanted to see the giant dog. Again, if I could charge for that... lol. I had actually told my girlfriend that if I did this type show again I should get two spots. Of course at $100 per spot that cuts into the profit, but I do believe it would be a big help. People are much more likely to walk into a bigger space. I'm still learning this craft show gig and get better at it each time. A few months ago I got a trailer, and just got my logo on the side. The trailer makes such a difference.

Like the comments, keep them coming! I appreciate it!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI3372.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	950.4 KB 
ID:	78026
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

Very nice work wish your sale does better.