Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got a "Grip" ? 1911 Pistol grips

Some ideas for marketing and showing your work would be at gun shops, gun clubs, shooting ranges and even pawn shops.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by 2A Finishing View Post
    I *only* do custom grips to order (and other small projects like plaques and "gun related" decor) - I keep blanks in stock to reduce turnaround times on them since I hand carve the inlays and the finish is hand rubbed oil.

I don't currently use the carvewright to cut my grips - I farm out the milling to someone with a much more expensive machine because it costs me less and I get a more precise, higher quality product than what I have the skill to produce on the carvewright, in much less time than I will EVER manage with the carvewright (My best prototype set took around 45 minutes to carve out, whereas my partner is running them off on her machine in under 15 minutes per set). I'm sure there are a lot of ways to make money with the carvewright, and I have been getting there slowly. I currently use facebook for my marketing - I had a website but took it down due to hosting changes and haven't rebuilt it yet. I know my weak point as far as generating business has been my marketing and advertising. Between it being just me doing it, and it taking so much time to do the actual work, I'm just spread too thin. That and I made some mistakes in starting my business when and how I did, so that came back to bite me. That said, I wasn't really asking why my business is in the toilet lol - I was just asking why your navy buddy decided not to engage my services is all (and I can't fathom that it would be that my quality is less than he was looking for, but if it is, I'd love to know what the complaint is so I can fix it for the next customer)

As far as ebay, I've thought about running an ad for my custom work, but I have no idea how to make an ad for something I don't have in hand yet to sell that doesn't have a fixed price.
    I believe it came down to my buddy was trying to get me involved making them and was not interested in just getting them from anyone else. More to help me expand my business. It was not about the money. And as a result of a Fantastic Forum Member posting a really nice pattern I will give it a shot...

So no complaint just he had a motive to get me doing them... It worked...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    I believe it came down to my buddy was trying to get me involved making them and was not interested in just getting them from anyone else. More to help me expand my business. It was not about the money. And as a result of a Fantastic Forum Member posting a really nice pattern I will give it a shot...

So no complaint just he had a motive to get me doing them... It worked...

AL
    Good luck with it brother, I'm sure you'll do a great job.
    A tip - if you plan on actually going into the business of selling them find a unique feature/checkering style, or profile shape to cater to the "nobody else has this" crowd - that's where the money is at.

My buddy is also a woodworker to some extent and I plan to send them to him still on the board...

Good Idea... Unique...

Thanks,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2A Finishing View Post
    I *only* do custom grips to order (and other small projects like plaques and "gun related" decor) - I keep blanks in stock to reduce turnaround times on them since I hand carve the inlays and the finish is hand rubbed oil.

I don't currently use the carvewright to cut my grips - I farm out the milling to someone with a much more expensive machine because it costs me less and I get a more precise, higher quality product than what I have the skill to produce on the carvewright, in much less time than I will EVER manage with the carvewright (My best prototype set took around 45 minutes to carve out, whereas my partner is running them off on her machine in under 15 minutes per set). I'm sure there are a lot of ways to make money with the carvewright, and I have been getting there slowly. I currently use facebook for my marketing - I had a website but took it down due to hosting changes and haven't rebuilt it yet. I know my weak point as far as generating business has been my marketing and advertising. Between it being just me doing it, and it taking so much time to do the actual work, I'm just spread too thin. That and I made some mistakes in starting my business when and how I did, so that came back to bite me. That said, I wasn't really asking why my business is in the toilet lol - I was just asking why your navy buddy decided not to engage my services is all (and I can't fathom that it would be that my quality is less than he was looking for, but if it is, I'd love to know what the complaint is so I can fix it for the next customer)

As far as ebay, I've thought about running an ad for my custom work, but I have no idea how to make an ad for something I don't have in hand yet to sell that doesn't have a fixed price.

do you have any other grip patterns to sell? you should put them into the pattern depot to share, and make money.
    -Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jab73180 View Post
    do you have any other grip patterns to sell? you should put them into the pattern depot to share, and make money.
    I'd prefer making money off selling the product vs selling the pattern and adding to my competition I may have other patterns to sell in the future though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123