Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open with preview

Default Open with preview

I'm sorry to ask something that I know was covered before but I can't seem to find the answer when I searched the forum.
    When I clicked on "open with preview" my machine is locking up as in "not responding" what am I supposed to do here? I thought it had something to do with the amount of file you have but I don't remember the fix. I hate to use task manager and kill the program if I'm not supposed to.

I am afraid the fix is to turn it back off. I could never get it to work without the lock ups. The program works in the background, going through your directories and creating previews. Any errors which occur during this process cause Designer to lock up. It has been said that if you suffer though the process until it makes all the previews, it will in the end work. I worked hard on this when it was first introduced to try and discover which files caused the problems. It seemed random to me at the time and I gave up. I now keep it off because I have lost my work too many times.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had success with the preview feature. It may work ok for people with only a few files.

Thanks Dan
    I'll bail out of the program, the feature would be nice but not if I'm risking loosing something.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I am afraid the fix is to turn it back off. I could never get it to work without the lock ups. The program works in the background, going through your directories and creating previews. Any errors which occur during this process cause Designer to lock up. It has been said that if you suffer though the process until it makes all the previews, it will in the end work. I worked hard on this when it was first introduced to try and discover which files caused the problems. It seemed random to me at the time and I gave up. I now keep it off because I have lost my work too many times.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had success with the preview feature. It may work ok for people with only a few files.
    It locked up with me using open with preview since day 1. At first I thought it was my computer, but it did it with the new one as well.
    Probably should either be fixed or removed in the next update seeing as it is a non-functional "feature" I do so wish I was a software programmer sometimes. Then I'd be useful for more than just complaints and bug reporting that everyone's probably already heard a thousand times before

My workaround has simply been to name my files with detailed names telling me what's what.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post

The only success I've had with it is to leave it turned off. It would have been nice if it worked. Maybe in the next update. Speaking of updates, I haven't seen one in almost a year.
    Steve

200 bucks, 200 bucks, 200 bucks (used to be 5 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by DianMayfield View Post
    200 bucks, 200 bucks, 200 bucks (used to be 5 bucks
    Whether they charge for it or not the length of time since the last one seems a bit odd. There was one in January but only introduced the 1/32" bit. The one before that was in October of last year.
    Steve

I noticed that there's little activity here except from a few members and staff, and there seems to be no post for the pre-convention contest I've seen mentioned... those things among others worry me for several reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by 2A Finishing View Post
    I noticed that there's little activity here except from a few members and staff, and there seems to be no post for the pre-convention contest I've seen mentioned... those things among others worry me for several reasons.

Activity seems to go in cycles for the most part. Summer has come to an end carving time has probably taking a bit of a back seat for a while. There was not carving contest this year for the conference but did see a lot of pictures of carving displays that people brought down.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Activity seems to go in cycles for the most part. Summer has come to an end carving time has probably taking a bit of a back seat for a while. There was not carving contest this year for the conference but did see a lot of pictures of carving displays that people brought down.
    Shoot, I'm in Florida (about 3hrs from Aubrey) - Carving season is just getting started for me (as soon as my replacement memory card gets here anyway). I hope my 2hp dust collector can keep up with all the sawdust I *hope and pray* to be making.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast