Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open with preview

Quote Originally Posted by DianMayfield View Post
    I think the machine as a whole is designed better than it was, reducing "trouble" posts. The selling of other peoples works has reduced sharing. What you are left with is frustrations with functionality. LHR doesn't share upcoming changes or plans, so there is little excitement about the future, and the presumption that it will cost us when it does come about, based on recent changes.

I would love to think that there is R&D to make improvements due to user feedback or to enhance functions. But it's just thinkin' cause there are few whispers. We use $100k software at work, and they are constantly letting us know what is on the horizon, as unrealistic as those timelines usually are!

Because we have frustrations, issues, or a wish list doesn't make us drama queens

Diane,

I'm with you. Unfortunately, we can't express our true opinions here without being deemed as a trouble maker. It is my belief that this is part of the reason for declining participation. My only motivation for "speaking out" is to draw attention to areas that I feel need to be addressed. This forum was designed to be a marketing tool for LHR and is not a place for open discussion on all topics.
    Steve

Okay folks we have taken this thread "open with preview" a bit off topic IMO.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    A1, you haven't got your card back yet? you have waited a long time, have they gave you a word on when it will be there?
    I wasn't even able to send it out until early this week or late last week.
    Not sure when it will be here, but it's being replaced. (Thank you, LHR)

There is no fixing open with preview. Technically, it's not broken though it would be nice if it didn't boot you out. Wish there was a process of Scan Program that basically had a countdown clock and wouldn't let you design until complete. It would have to start itself every time u made a first visit to a directory with undocumented preview files.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I would guess open with preview works fine for newbies as they don't have a bunch of files to inventory, since just starting.

Imagine inventorying everything in your house. If you start out with nothing in any of the rooms, inventorying would be easier than inventorying a house that you've already lived in for 10 years.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    There is no fixing open with preview. Technically, it's not broken though it would be nice if it didn't boot you out. Wish there was a process of Scan Program that basically had a countdown clock and wouldn't let you design until complete. It would have to start itself every time u made a first visit to a directory with undocumented preview files.
    I am sorry but it seems broken to me and I think many others as well. Perhaps a setting that lets designer scan and make the previews during a time when you are not using the program. People could let it run overnight or on days that they are not using it. Then there is no fear of being booted out. This obviously does not work in a convenient and user friendly way so that makes it broken.

And I agree I hardly ever chime in as I have seen others get in trouble for it. Thats why I only have 20 posts in a year, and I lurked for months before joining.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    It doesn't work fine for me, even with less than 15 .MPC files in the directory.
    Windows Explorer (widely regarded as one of the most poorly coded file system managers in existence) doesn't have a problem generating previews on the fly, even in directories with hundreds or thousands of images and/or videos. I'm with Norm, I firmly believe it's broken.

That said, I've also noticed that bug reports, upgrade suggestions, and certain other issues do tend to be looked down upon. I can understand it - Y'all are proud of your design and your product - I would be too, and there's a LOT to be proud of. I tend to feel a little bitten when people criticize something I've put my blood, sweat, and tears into for years or decades too.

One tip I can suggest (though I don't know how it should be coded myself as I'm not a programmer) is that similar to most other file system scan/preview codes, instead of re-scanning unchanged files when opening a folder, just scan for new or modified files. That reduces processor and memory overhead and increases reliability in other file system managers I've had experience with. Again, I don't have the first clue HOW they do it, but I know for a fact it can be done. Even other video, 3d modeling, and graphic editing programs have few or no problems with "open with preview" functionality, yet Designer does.

I'm truly not trying to argue with you, but there's obviously a problem there seeing as the feature doesn't function as intended (unless the bug being discussed is how it was purposefully designed, and I can't fathom why that would be the case).

Does the feature function properly on your personal system?

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

The preview checks for changes in files that have been previously previewed (before re-generating a preview). It also skips files that have crashed designer.

Part of the problem is we never took away old file format support, so everything from 1.000 to 3.102 can be loaded. This is because of legacy patterns and projects on the store.

Bugs/upgrades/etc are not looked down upon, however changes that would take months to implement with little benefit, or otherwise "break" a design, generally cannot be implemented.

I get that, there should be some return on invested time and effort. But, being silent or saying it's "not" a bug certainly doesn't help the repeated posting from different members with the same issue. A "bug" post, something along these lines would certainly be helpful in the long run:

Feature requests with a response would let us know things are being worked on as well!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bugs Report.PNG  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast