Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Wood cover sketch book

Sharon, thank you. Me too.

Quick update. All pieces cut and carved. Sadly it looks like this specific design is a big esthetic failure.

The hinges are super smooth for opening and closing. The problem is the spine width with the hinges is 6" using a 3" spine. The thickness of the lumber plus the additional thickness of the wood hinges make the proportions look wrong. I can probably go down to 2.5" on the spine, which is probably as short as I can go with these 2" hinges, but that will in turn only reduce the width of the spine to 5.5".

I have to spend sometime and figure out another way to do the hinges.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4059.jpg  

Oscar,

I was watching the Mummy with Brandon Fraiser for a few minutes last night. They uncovered some ancient tome, and the hinges appeared to be on the outside of the book. Might be something to consider

I was thinking the same thing but I have an easier solution for this project. I may be able to salvage the spine as well.

I think dragon or clawed hand hinges would be awesome for an ancient tome or grimoire. The design I have in mind to fix the hinge issue would work with that as well and make for easier construction as well.

Now I know what to make for all the grand kids nest Christmas. Thank you!
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

They can be a lot of work but they do have the wow factor when people see them.

This last design...well...I won't say it was a complete failure but it wasn't what I was envisioning. In the end I have something that is functional but I think it will be more a decoration than something I use.

I wish I could afford padauk for more projects. This is the raw wood with the first coat of poly. The hinges are made with black walnut. If you think bicycle chain then you know how the hinge is made.

The hinge part was frustrating. Every hinge finger came out slightly different size from the CW. It was not a big difference but enough that I had to fine tune pretty much every piece on the sanding station. Very time consuming. So if anyone actually tries this, make extra parts. I think I only ruined 2 or three by sanding off the opposite edge that I actually needed. Measuring twice is such a bore. lol. The hinge fingers are designed with a top and bottom. The hinge will not work right if they are flipped upside down. Pinning the hinge to the boards with dowels really added strength to them and they are needed. Padauk is dense and heavy.

Next project will be a grimoire. It should be extravagant and over the top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4063.jpg   IMG_4065.jpg  

The last pictures just did not do justice to the padauk and the carving. Enclosed is another picture of the book after the poly has dryed. This is raw wood with only oil based poly applied. It will oxidize to a natural orange brown finish. It is one of my favorite species. Purple heart carves better but the color of padauk is so unique that it is so fun to use (I guess purple heart is pretty unique to). I am going to have to order some more padauk and purple heart soon. This was my last board.

The hinge design opens and closes smoothly so it works but it made the book too wide/thick. So good design for the wrong application.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4068.jpg  

looks great!

I just picked up some 1/8" steel rod at HD. I will try to figure out how the do the hinges like the video. If I succeed I will post it. I have it all figured in my head. I like to take projects meant for other tools and methods and make them easier with the CarveWright ex. the Tambour box and the EZ Box in the store.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Working on a new book cover pattern. Its a work in progress but still wanted to show off the design. It'll be going to my Navy corpsman daughter.

Its supposed to be a stylistic caduceus symbol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW stylistic medical symbol.png  

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast