Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Wood cover sketch book

Latest book completed for a friend. Its a Christmas gift for his daughter. Used cherry wood with maple plugs on the dado holes. The slots and plugs were cut using the jig I mentioned earlier.

I am really happy with the book and also the book design.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3916v2.jpg  

Emma will have a lifetime treasure. Nicely done!

Thanks. I do hope she likes it. My buddy has been a good friend so wanted for it to come out nice. The hinge design seems to work well so I am happy with that. The design has slowly been evolving but I think I am almost there with it.

This is about as close as you can get to finishing at the last possible moment. Applied final spray finish (lacquer) this morning so it could be given as a Christmas present. Quick steel wool rub to get a super smooth finish and handed to my step son.

Really happy with the pattern and carving. Didn't have any time for sanding the carving so what you see is what came out of the CW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3919.JPG  

Working on a new book design. Current design build time is 1 to 2 days including carving. It is a beautiful design that shows great craftsmanship in the final product.

This new design will be more like 4 hours including carving time (on normal). Drops the skill level needed to build to really, really basic. Again, all wood no metal construction.

Kind of industrial look to it so going with a steam punk design again. I'll work on the design tomorrow. Also pulling out the laser this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new book hinge design.png   new book hinge design2.png  

Really cool Oscar, When you get it all figured out you should put it in the pattern dep.

I like the idea. If I do it, it will be a basic book construction project as a blank slate. In addition to sketch books, these books are a great way to commemorate a special event as a sign-in book with the special event theme on the cover. Anniversary, birthday, family gathering, etc. Someone already mentioned a special photo book.

Had the day off so working hard on the cover design. I love that I have slowly been building up my library of models/patterns. Really sped things up. Here is what I have come up with so far for the front cover. Sometimes ideas just really work out. I have to give all credit to my wife who suggested the pocket watch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steampunk book cover.PNG  

Very interesting design, looking forward to seeing it in the pattern depot.

Looks like my estimate of about 4 hours was pretty close. Finished carving the front cover (1 hr 10 min) and book spine (39 min). Still need to carve the back (another hour or so). The hinges say they will take an hour to cut out. There are 24 individual hinge pieces to build up the 6 hinges needed. I used my last piece of padauk for the front and back and black walnut for the spine (not enough padauk to finish the spine).

Did a plunge carving into the black walnut for the spine. I love how well it carves. Lost day light so will finish up the back and hinges tomorrow.

Padauk is really dense and heavy so planning on pinning the hinges with dowels to the covers in addition to the glue for extra strength.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steampunk book end.PNG   steampunk book back.PNG  

I like your Steampunk design. Look forward to seeing it finished.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast