Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with pattern

Default help with pattern

Hello all, I'm working on a pattern to carve on a bar top. I'm not very good at it yet, but am working on it. I'm having trouble with the letters in this one and was hoping for some help. I have attached the pattern.

Thanks,
    Shanemarg.ptn

We can not editor an already made pattern, only the originator can do that. We can only work with the image.

But what I see is you need to lower the height of everything and clean up the letter edges. Using the pattern editor?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Why don't you use text separate from the pattern? Once text is part of the pattern, it cannot easily be altered.

One thing I've noticed with the CW is you need a good image to get a good pattern. The image you started with was very low resolution. I took the same image and blew it up to 300% and increased density several times. I also changed the height in the really low areas using the magic wand and changing to a different common color in the image so they would be the same with my paint program. You can do the same with the design editor if you have that.

Still not great but the beginnings of being usable. I am still not very good with the 2d stuff but improving.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW Margarita.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I got rid of the text in PE and smoothed it in Sculptor. Now you can just put on regular text. I hope this works for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails marg.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dan, nice touch with the puffing tool.

What is the technique to remove the lettering? Eraser and magic wand?

Wouldn't it leave a hole where the lettering was? And does that mean you had to go back and paint in that area?

I tried some of that and didn't have much luck on my own. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	77869This is the pic I used

Yup. That's the same one I found as well. Increased size 300 percent and increased pixel per inch to 300. I then changed the yellow color on the bird to a lighter blue. If you then port it into CW it is huge but you just reduce the image size while importing image and you get rid of the spikes. You still have to play with it to clean it up some more. But I am relatively newbie working with 2d images. Dan and Ed and a few others work magic. I am always asking them questions trying to get to that aha moment when it makes sense.

I use Corel but you can do the same with Adobe Illustrator/Draw or gimp.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Dan, nice touch with the puffing tool.

What is the technique to remove the lettering? Eraser and magic wand?

Wouldn't it leave a hole where the lettering was? And does that mean you had to go back and paint in that area?
    No puffing - Sculptor smoothing and Yes - Yes.

Sweet!

thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast