Thread: head will not stay level

Default head will not stay level

The threaded hole that the tie rod screw/washer goes into that secures the tie rod cracked on the key board side. This caused the head to go out of level. I fixed the problem and leveled the head by first cranking it up to the post marks on the opposite side of the key board then loosened the tie rod screw on that side, dropped the rod down enough so it would not engage then cranked the head to the post mark on the keyboard side. I cranked it up and down several times and it remained level. But when I put pressure on it (loaded a board and cranked down on it) the head will go out of level again.

This is a problem which will require some MacGyvering. The screw hole is in the main plastic base. No replacing that. You could try and epoxy a "stud" into the hole and then use a nut to hold the washer. You could also just make some other restraining device. Drill some holes and use bailing wire? It does not need to be high tech. A block of wood.

I had to use a block of hard wood and put a screw thru the plastic to hold the wood in place work great for me and a thin Teflon on the wood were the rod turns
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

LOOSE screws under the machine going into the 4 smooth rails that the head rides up and down on? I have had them come loose in the early years...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

It would really be helpful to see a picture of what you guys are describing. I like reading this forum for its trouble shooting techniques, and try to gain as much insight as I can. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smurfjeep View Post
    It would really be helpful to see a picture of what you guys are describing. I like reading this forum for its trouble shooting techniques, and try to gain as much insight as I can. Thanks
    Here you go. I just happen to have my machine apart for no reason.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010262.JPG   P1010267.JPG   P1010264.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Here you go. I just happen to have my machine apart for no reason.
    Thank you for making this clearer