Thread: Carvetight spindle bearings

Default Carvetight spindle bearings

Wondering if it is possible to change the bearings in the Carvetight spindle without removing the truck assembly? If so, is there an instruction sheet? Where are the bearings available? Will the bearings from an old style spindle fit in the Carvetight? Thanks.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

It is possible. See http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...135#post152135 for a start. The bearings are the same for QC and CT. NSK 6002VV for the bottom and NSK 6000DDU for the top. The top bearing is standard and easy to find. The bottom is a little harder to find. The V stands for non contact seals. It is a high rpm bearing.

On can, I think, using wooded blocks, a brass punch, and a light hand, tap out the spindle in most cases. Make sure you do not block the bottom bearing from coming out with the spindle.

(There are no other instructions. This is not a user serviceable part!)

I would remove the Z Motor while doing this as it is possible to strip a big plastic gear with a hammer blow... I did by just jerking the truck up to remove the flex...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I have done it by putting wooded blocks under the truck. That way there is no z travel.

Ok, well then is the CT truck easier to remove than the old one was, or do you still have to drill out screws and such? Thinking maybe with the allen screws they come out easier? Mine still runs ok, it's just noisy. Doesn't get hot or anything.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors