Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Luxury watch clock

Wow. That is gorgeous. I am so stealing that idea. Air Force emblem of course though.

P.S. ammo is always a great gift.

LOL.. you won't need the circles to cover up the smaller dials

But I take no credit, it was your beautiful watch that made it possible!

lol. Actually I will also need to cover the little dials. The way I built the model the smaller circles are integral to the surface.

That'll teach me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blender luxury watch.jpg  

Henry,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I didn't use the Designer to create the spiral although I suppose you could. I used Aspire (Corel Draw probably would have been a little faster) and created circles by using the offset tool with .1" spacing. In the node edit mode I cut the vector circles along one side of the horizontal mid-center. Then, starting with the second from the outside, I moved each un-joined endpoint to the right and placed it over the adjacent endpoiint, and then joined the vectors. I repeated the process until all of the vectors were joined creating one spiral. I then exported it as a .dxf file. This sounds a little complicated but the whole process only took less than 5 minutes. There may be other ways to do it faster but I just wanted to see if it would work.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Henry,

...There may be other ways to do it faster but I just wanted to see if it would work.
    Hi Steve,

You can use the Spiral Gadget in Aspire to create that vector in about two seconds.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Henry,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I didn't use the Designer to create the spiral although I suppose you could. I used Aspire (Corel Draw probably would have been a little faster) and created circles by using the offset tool with .1" spacing. In the node edit mode I cut the vector circles along one side of the horizontal mid-center. Then, starting with the second from the outside, I moved each un-joined endpoint to the right and placed it over the adjacent endpoiint, and then joined the vectors. I repeated the process until all of the vectors were joined creating one spiral. I then exported it as a .dxf file. This sounds a little complicated but the whole process only took less than 5 minutes. There may be other ways to do it faster but I just wanted to see if it would work.
    thank you for the reply appreciated
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Gents,

Thanks for the great technique. Spiral tool also exists in coreldraw which took me about 30 seconds to create, copy and import as an image into CW software. I whole lot faster than using the arc tool to build the spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hi Steve,

You can use the Spiral Gadget in Aspire to create that vector in about two seconds.
    Michael,

Yes you can but then you have to deal with the notch.

Also in Aspire the pocket tool path where you can choose either offset or raster is really nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spirial.png  
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-05-2015 at 10:31 AM.
    Steve

I think there are many ways that a spiral pocket can be designed. One way would be to use a spiral tool. You would need to calculate the number of revolutions in the spiral so the path of the bit you intend to use overlaps a little and then use a vector drawing package like Aspire or Corel Draw to create the spiral. To eliminate the "notch" where the spiral ends, superimpose a circle on top of it and cut the vector circle near the outside end of the spiral. Rejoin it to the end of the spiral to maintain a continuous cut .

I was just experimenting with the options.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-05-2015 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling and grammer
    Steve

Does your spiral cut from the inside to the outside? How do you control that when the spiral is a DXF import?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast