Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: box corners rounded

Default box corners rounded

Two weeks into the Carvewright was wondering how to do rounded corners on a box., so I don't have to miter the box. Like the rounded corners on the ornamental box that comes with Carvewright. I have attempted but cant figure it out.

I use the right and left dome feature. Set a rectangle the size of the rounded area you would like and use the surface selection of a dome.
    I have attached a picture of a recent box and a mpc for a box front. Also make sure you uncheck "floor Feather"... Hope this helps

~~~[ATTACH]77648[/ATTACH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2ndTeipelBox2.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Also by changing the depth and height of the dome, you can change how rounded it will be. Play around a bit and you will find what works for you....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Quote Originally Posted by wpickrel View Post
    Two weeks into the Carvewright was wondering how to do rounded corners on a box., so I don't have to miter the box. Like the rounded corners on the ornamental box that comes with Carvewright. I have attempted but cant figure it out.

What version of Designer do you have? Do you have the 3D Tools add on?

This looks great however I cant seem to replicate it on my own could you help with how the corners are done or the setting for the dome that would help

I don't know the box that came with your machine, so I can only tell you how I would do it. Do you plan to use butt joints? End frain will be a problem when finishing, but you can create a 3/4" wide carved out area on each end and use left or right dome. Probably put it .6 deep and a height of 999.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Clint is right about the edge grain when it comes to finishing, but the rounded corners can come out ok. I have attached a screen shot of how the mpc I posted was set up. After you set the rectangle, you can right click on it and choose select a surface. From there, find the dome options and pick either a left or right. Then choose the depth and height. anywhere from .5 and 999 to .75 and 999 will work, it is up to your taste.... Good luck

~~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com

Here is what I did. Maybe this is good enough for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edge Domes.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

very much thank you. Sorry I am not very good with this no carpentry or wood experience at all.

forgive me but I don't know what the different types of joints are yet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast