Thread: I am always getting the Rotary error and having problems calibrating. ALWAYS!

Default I am always getting the Rotary error and having problems calibrating. ALWAYS!

Every time I go to calibrate the Rotary unit I have to play with it for over an hour. I do the push down on the frame thing and sometimes it may work but usually not. I take the rotary jig out and in. I clean the machine even more, I check the head pressure which always comes out fine. I don't put as much pressure when cranking down the head (this worked once). I do so many things over and over again and then finally I get it to calibrate to within the range. I never know what made it finally work because I have tried so many things. Does anyone else have to do this on a regular basis or is it just me? What is it that I can do, not do, or pray more about. I think most of the time when It finally woks is due to divine intervention rather then what I did as it just doesn't make sense to me.
    A few things I have noticed is it always stops in the same spot about 1.75 to 2 inches from the correct spot and it usually will do that the entire time I am trying to calibrate it although one day it stopped about an inch continually from the correct spot. What am I missing. I do everything the video says to do. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I think the belt of the rotary pushes the brass roller down a little more than a board does. You might want to make sure the O ring on the brass roller is not rubbing on the front belt.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I think the belt of the rotary pushes the brass roller down a little more than a board does. You might want to make sure the O ring on the brass roller is not rubbing on the front belt.
    I will check that out. Thank you for the suggestion.

Like you, I have had many similar problems but since I made the modifications to the jig that Bergerud suggested in an earlier post they don't seem to be as prevalent (see post #4 in the link below). Also, I try to be sure the jig is about the thickness of a business card away from the squaring plate. It seems to work on my machine, most of the time, but tolerances may be different on other machines.

(http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ghlight=rotary)
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-28-2015 at 10:09 AM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Like you, I have had many similar problems but since I made the modifications to the jig that Bergerud suggested in an earlier post they don't seem to be as prevalent (see post #4 in the link below). Also, I try to be sure the jig is about the thickness of a business card away from the squaring plate. It seems to work on my machine, most of the time, but tolerances may be different on other machines.

(http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ghlight=rotary)
    THank you Steve I will look at the rotary jig as I have been looking at the machine and not the rotary jig.

Last night I was calibrating the rotary jig and it was only off by maybe 1/16 of an inch and I then said keep and the machine came back with the out of range error. I then calibrated again and it came back with the same error. I have never had this happen when the calibrating is that close. What is the range for the out of range error?
    Heather

Maybe you should go back to the default before you try and calibrate the jig. Maybe your last setting is on the edge of the calibration range. If you have to rotate too much from the default, I think you have a tracking problem.

I received a flyer from Rockler about a cnc that has a laser,3d printer a probe and carve. (Small one) .Our Carvewright has rotary, probe and great carving and can handle long board (Would it be great if Lhr could add a laser in spot the probe goes in)
    with the easy designer software the machine would be the Greatest(and while they are at it toss in a 3d printer. LOL Thanks Bert

sunmiztres,

At least you have the option to calibrate. My unit does not give any reference to calibrate or does it acknowledge a rotary jig in the menus. both the carvewright machine and the rotary jig were purchased at the same time, so the machine should have been programed for rotary work. my latest rotary carve came out fine without the calibration step being done, but if ever I needed to, I cant calibrate.