Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Rotary Litho finished.

1. Default

Looks great. Really nice job and great subject matter!

Beautiful! I love how you incorporated the inlay into the project, too. Wonderful project. Thank you very much for your inspiration!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Great job. Looks Beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

That is wonderful. Our minister will be done with us soon I was trying to think of something to give him. This will work wonderful.
    Jeff

The litho as it has been stated and I agree it is out standing.

Where did you get the photo or picture of Jesus from ?
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I have to comment on these "numbers". The depth is certainly important and is an absolute number. The height, on the other hand, is not an absolute number. It is a percentage. Normally, when a pattern is created, it has a length, width, depth, and a height which puts the highest point at the top of the board. There is no real number for this initial height, it is just 100% of what it is. If you change the height to 50, it will drop by 1/2.

If a pattern's length or width is altered, the height is automatically also altered. For example, if one takes a pattern and scales the length and/or width down by 1/2, the height also drops to 1/2 of what it was. If you want to scale the top of the pattern back to where it was, you would have to change the height to 200. Also, if you change the depth of a pattern, the height also drops. For example, if you double the depth, you would have to change the height to 200 to get the pattern back up to the surface.

The percentage one has to use to compensate for altering a pattern depends on how the pattern was altered and so, is not an absolute number. For lithos, the depth number, of course, is very important and a rule of thumb for depths makes sense. The height, on the other hand, is relative to the specific pattern and there cannot be a rule of thumb for that. It just needs to be adjusted so the pattern comes to the top. (You could always choose 999!)

I hope this make sense.
    Dan. I was asking this question because I"m not grasping the concept If I made a bigger carve on on a project it distorts the height so if I make the depth .25. and the height at 999 do I get the best that I can out of that pattern ?
    Attached Files Attached Files

If you make a carve bigger, the height will increase only until the top of the pattern gets to the board surface. In your case, the bow of the ship has reached 0.00 and so changing the height to anything higher would make no difference. It us already at the top. (In fact, your pattern has been scaled so much that a height of only 12 gets the bow to the surface.) The only way to get more out of the pattern is to make it deeper.

(Sorry to hijack your thread Sunmiztres.)
    Last edited by bergerud; 08-27-2015 at 06:03 PM.

I did the pattern at .5 deep and height at 999 would I harm the machine doing a carve that deep, I have always used the default at .25 It looks a lot better at .5 deep My project has been running all day it at 52 percent done would I be better to stop the project or to stop the project and tape over and start over again to save the wood, but I don't like doing again because of the tape gumming up the bit.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by aokweld101; 08-27-2015 at 06:29 PM.

There is nothing wrong with carving 1/2" deep. Since it is almost all deeper than what you are doing, you could just re-carve over what you have.

Dan, I just looked at the project and it's at 70 percent done how do I go about starting the project to do the calibration to do the .5 carve ?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast