Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Rotary Litho finished.

Default New Rotary Litho finished.

I wanted to make a Litho of one of my favorite people and also include a base that said something meaningful. I used the inlay technique Michael showed us in July's POM.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails litho2.JPG   litho lights on.JPG   litho off.JPG  

You did a great job on a fantastic subject!

Wow!! Super job...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

That looks real nice, I set my depth at .113 and height at 450 and it varies on different pieces of cvpc pipe... what are your magic numbers..

Thanks for the nice comments. I usually use depth at .180 and height of 400.

I have to comment on these "numbers". The depth is certainly important and is an absolute number. The height, on the other hand, is not an absolute number. It is a percentage. Normally, when a pattern is created, it has a length, width, depth, and a height which puts the highest point at the top of the board. There is no real number for this initial height, it is just 100% of what it is. If you change the height to 50, it will drop by 1/2.

If a pattern's length or width is altered, the height is automatically also altered. For example, if one takes a pattern and scales the length and/or width down by 1/2, the height also drops to 1/2 of what it was. If you want to scale the top of the pattern back to where it was, you would have to change the height to 200. Also, if you change the depth of a pattern, the height also drops. For example, if you double the depth, you would have to change the height to 200 to get the pattern back up to the surface.

The percentage one has to use to compensate for altering a pattern depends on how the pattern was altered and so, is not an absolute number. For lithos, the depth number, of course, is very important and a rule of thumb for depths makes sense. The height, on the other hand, is relative to the specific pattern and there cannot be a rule of thumb for that. It just needs to be adjusted so the pattern comes to the top. (You could always choose 999!)

I hope this make sense.

Out standing litho carving !!!!!
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

Dan, thanks for your input, it was a hit and miss on the rotary jig for me I got 9 pieces that were good enough to keep out of 2 lengths of pipe and I tried the depth on different pieces of 10" pipe, the .180 went though the wall into the pipe, so I abandon that idea at .180 it might of been at the beginning that my pipe wasn't centered and you helped me with centering the pipe.... thanks

What a fantastic job you did. I have had the rotary about a year now and still haven't had the time to work with it. A project like this makes me want to go to the big box store, buy some pipe and get busy.
    Thanks for sharing your great project.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

That is an outstanding litho... both in your subject matter and the design of your base.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast