Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Rotary Litho finished.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Rotary Litho finished.

I wanted to make a Litho of one of my favorite people and also include a base that said something meaningful. I used the inlay technique Michael showed us in July's POM.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails litho2.JPG   litho lights on.JPG   litho off.JPG  

You did a great job on a fantastic subject!

Wow!! Super job...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

That looks real nice, I set my depth at .113 and height at 450 and it varies on different pieces of cvpc pipe... what are your magic numbers..

Thanks for the nice comments. I usually use depth at .180 and height of 400.

I have to comment on these "numbers". The depth is certainly important and is an absolute number. The height, on the other hand, is not an absolute number. It is a percentage. Normally, when a pattern is created, it has a length, width, depth, and a height which puts the highest point at the top of the board. There is no real number for this initial height, it is just 100% of what it is. If you change the height to 50, it will drop by 1/2.

If a pattern's length or width is altered, the height is automatically also altered. For example, if one takes a pattern and scales the length and/or width down by 1/2, the height also drops to 1/2 of what it was. If you want to scale the top of the pattern back to where it was, you would have to change the height to 200. Also, if you change the depth of a pattern, the height also drops. For example, if you double the depth, you would have to change the height to 200 to get the pattern back up to the surface.

The percentage one has to use to compensate for altering a pattern depends on how the pattern was altered and so, is not an absolute number. For lithos, the depth number, of course, is very important and a rule of thumb for depths makes sense. The height, on the other hand, is relative to the specific pattern and there cannot be a rule of thumb for that. It just needs to be adjusted so the pattern comes to the top. (You could always choose 999!)

I hope this make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I have to comment on these "numbers". The depth is certainly important and is an absolute number. The height, on the other hand, is not an absolute number. It is a percentage. Normally, when a pattern is created, it has a length, width, depth, and a height which puts the highest point at the top of the board. There is no real number for this initial height, it is just 100% of what it is. If you change the height to 50, it will drop by 1/2.

If a pattern's length or width is altered, the height is automatically also altered. For example, if one takes a pattern and scales the length and/or width down by 1/2, the height also drops to 1/2 of what it was. If you want to scale the top of the pattern back to where it was, you would have to change the height to 200. Also, if you change the depth of a pattern, the height also drops. For example, if you double the depth, you would have to change the height to 200 to get the pattern back up to the surface.

The percentage one has to use to compensate for altering a pattern depends on how the pattern was altered and so, is not an absolute number. For lithos, the depth number, of course, is very important and a rule of thumb for depths makes sense. The height, on the other hand, is relative to the specific pattern and there cannot be a rule of thumb for that. It just needs to be adjusted so the pattern comes to the top. (You could always choose 999!)

I hope this make sense.
    Dan. I was asking this question because I"m not grasping the concept If I made a bigger carve on on a project it distorts the height so if I make the depth .25. and the height at 999 do I get the best that I can out of that pattern ?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I just looked at your size of material and the part off I was on the understanding that it is the part off should be the same as the diameter of the pipe, If I'm wrong or right someone will chime in..

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    I just looked at your size of material and the part off I was on the understanding that it is the part off should be the same as the diameter of the pipe, If I'm wrong or right someone will chime in..

Yes, that is strange. Did the pipe get cut off by the machine? I would have made the part off diameter 3.4 or so just to leave a reference mark to help me cut it later.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Yes, that is strange. Did the pipe get cut off by the machine? I would have made the part off diameter 3.4 or so just to leave a reference mark to help me cut it later.
    With my machine the rotary litho does not carve any of the part off. This is why it is set at .5. It leaves me a 1/2 inch at the bottom and at the top.
    I actually use a 12" piece when the pattern is set at 10" so that I have at least a couple inches to work with for the base and top. The PVC sits in my base and the top sits over the PVC so I need extra inches so I don't cover the carving. The first litho I did I was expecting the part off to cut a reference point but it did not. It just carves the patterns and that is all. I was then thinking I would change the part off to 1.5 so that it leaves me 1.5 inches at the top and the bottom as that is what I want for the base and top but it still left me .5 inches at the top so I then kept making my PVC longer then what the project calls for so I have room for the top. Is my machine not working correctly?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast