Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jog to Position - Need instructions

Default Jog to Position - Need instructions

I am trying to use the Jog to Position method to place a carving on a piece of wood in a particular place.
    I have a customer who is an engineer and he wants this carving off center in a certain position that he has drawn on the wood.
    Can anyone give me some detailed instructions on how to use this feature?
    I have tried. I can get the truck to jog to the starting position, but when I tell it to start carving, it moves several inches from where I instructed it and tries to carve there.

From my experience, the jog to position is the top left corner of the board in designer, not the carving itself. you would jog to the corner (standing at the keyboard) to the right of the board, the keyboard side. (essentially upside down from what you see on screen)

I use place on end most of the time.

If I wanted to place art on a specific point on the board I would first take a tape measure and measure from the front end of the board and from the brass roller side of the board to the center of the engineer point.

I would then in designer draw 2 boxes, one on the length of the board and one on the width and place the boxes like a on screen tape measure.

I would then place a drill hole in the center of the designer board offset location, remembering that the brass roller is on the top of the screen and the right side of the screen is front of the board.

You can delete the measuring blocks and place the art centered on the drill hole then delete the drill hole.

Another option is to use a peek a boo sled with a cover sheet....

I needed to re cut some holes last summer in some FRP Plastic making them bigger. I used a sled and had previously cut the top sheet and indexed it on my railed sled. I would align the sheet needing to be cut with the peek a boo sheet on top. Once lined up, I removed the top sheet and used tape to hold the sheet needing to be cut. I let the bit touch on the wide sled rail and set the depth to cut through the FRP. worked...

You could make a sled and a peek a boo to position the board offset area on the sled then tape of hot glue it down for repeatable results.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03188_WEB.jpg   DSC03194_WEB.jpg   DSC03178_WEB.jpg   DSC03185_WEB.jpg  

DSC03212_WEB.jpg   DSC03383_WEB.jpg   DSC03306_WEB.jpg   Acc Board Holes.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

The easiest thing to do is jog to center. Mark where you want the center of the pattern to be on the board and jog to it.

Hey Dan , So your saying that when you use jog , the point where you jog to is going to be the center of the carve . I don't use jog , I tried it a few times in the early dayz and just gave up trying to figure out what it was doing. Ha
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

When you use jog to center, it puts the center of the pattern where you jog to. (This is not the jog to touch but jog to place.)

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    When you use jog to center, it puts the center of the pattern where you jog to. (This is not the jog to touch but jog to place.)
    Technically, jog to center places the center of your virtual board, not a pattern. No difference if a single pattern is centered on the board of course.

Another way to do this would be to set your virtual board in Designer the same size as your actual board, and place the project off center in Designer per your engineer's drawing.

Dan can you explain a little more , I have a project that the jog would be very helpful if I can get it to do what I need

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

It may help if you posted some more information, such as your mpc and what you want to do.

To use jog to center, your virtual board must be smaller than your actual board or board + sled. That being the case, you will get a prompt asking about jog and jog to center. Let's say your virtual board is 8" x 8". When you use jog to center, you are telling the machine where to place the center of this virtual board on your actual board. You can only place the center of an 8" x 8" virtual board within 4" of any edge of your actual board, because the machine will not let your virtual board extend off the edge of your actual board - does that make sense?

To use jog to center, your virtual board must be smaller than your actual board or board + sled.

We have had two different issues with the actual board being smaller than the virtual board this week. I think it is also an issue with shrinking down to fit any project that has conforming vectors and keyhole.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast