Thread: Need an option in replacement of carved letters

Default Need an option in replacement of carved letters

As you can see from the pictures, I filled in the carved letters with a white marble inlay. When staining a darker cherry color the inlay didn't repel the stain like they said it would. So looking for alternates to cover up the carving. Maybe a nice carved overlay that I can glue on top? All ideas welcome. Unfortunately, I am beyond putting this piece back in the CW. The size of the carved letters are 4" L x .75" H overall. So pretty small which is probably why the inlay appears to be grabbing the stain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	casual-inlay.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	77543

My first reaction would be to use a dental pick to try and pull out the inlay. Is that practical or possible?

What is the item? Might give folks a better idea on what/how to overlay so that it looks nice.

What happens if you surface sand it?
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

the more I sand the brighter it gets, however, the stain goes as well.

How about using a router collet and bushing inlay set. Route out the area around the old text using a template. Create a filler piece of contrasting wood and carve the new text using the CW plus router template and glue it in place. Make it look decorative.

Maybe a white marble colored paint? They make a acrylic medium called glazing or pearlization that gives it a glossy finish look.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.