Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trying to make a oval sign pattern does not carve correctly

Default trying to make a oval sign pattern does not carve correctly

I have been trying to self teach the designer software and have a sign i am trying to make for a friend in Taiwan. I tried using a picture to import but it never carves correctly and I am not sure what i am doing wrong. So i had my son correct the picture and I was wondering if someone could help me with getting this to work I have wasted 4 pieces of wood so far trying to do this. I never used to have these issues. Maybe I am just getting old. Anyway i have attaced two versions of the picture and what i want is the sig with a round cutout for it so the sign is round at the end
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PIG1.jpg   PIG2.jpg  

I am not sure why it would not carve correctly. The pictures both imported very well as images. Cleaned up a little bit on the snout area with the pattern editor but other than that nothing else. Used an oval instead of circle to follow the lettering. But the pattern is enclosed to modify as needed. Hope that helps.

The height is set at .25 and depth at 100. The oval has a carved region of .25 to match.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW a small pig sign.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

You were faster than I Oscar.

Dan, only because I didn't do anything with the image. Yours looks much better.

Always good to have options.

A potential problem with this pattern is that the stems or branches of the leaves are quite narrow. Depending upon the size of the project, if this is done as a raised carving the stems will be prone to chipout. I would like to see more information on intended use, such as the size of the pattern in the finished project, whether it is to be a recessed or a raised carving, and height or depth desired. Then I think appropriate adjustments might be made.

i carved the sign out on some scarp pine and while most of it looks ok the letters all chipped out on me and also i need to make the sign bigger as bg as possible in parameters of board widthClick image for larger version. 

Name:	11908207_1067678619909343_443215410_n.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	77537any suggestions are more then welcome please

while i have had the machine for a few years i never have had the time to really learn to use it. My job has me doing extensive travel, in fact this sign is for a friend restaurant in Taipei. So any guidance will be greatly appreciated. I have other signs i also wish to make but i think one mistake i made is purchasing the new designer software but never having the time to learn the ways to use it so it seems i am always fumbling thru trying to make a sign on the odd day off i get from time to time

Some quick visual observations was a difference in the height of the pattern and the oval.

Set both to .25 and also ensure you bit optimization is set to best. This will thicken up the lettering a bit so it will have less tear out. If you have pattern editor you can also blur it a bit more which will give you a little bit more feathering around the pattern elements. I am sure some of the grey beards will have better advise.

p.s. added an mpc on how I would do it I was going to try. Hopefully someone can point out any inaccuracies in the project. I'm also relatively new at this at 1.5 years with my toy. Thankfully my travel is now minimal and I have weekends to decompress and play. I hate traveling now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW small pig.jpg  

Add "draft" to your text and lower the height. Pine is very prone to chip out on high raised text.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

will oak do the same should i change it to draft for Oak also

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast