Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Z- Axis Stall E06-0313

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Z- Axis Stall E06-0313

I was just running a new project and got a Z-Axis stall about 15% into a 6 hr carve. My machine has 200 hrs on it right now. I turned it off and gave everything a good thorough cleaning and no matter what project I try to open it gives me a stall message right away. I have gone into user options to test everything and X and Y are fine. But on both the Z-Axis and Cut Motor test I get the stall error. The z truck does move a fraction, id say about 1/32 and then the error but it does move freely by hand. If anyone can please give me some help or ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

This is probably a loose encoder disc in the back of the z motor. (Good problem description.) The controller sends power to move the z (it jerks) but the encoder data which tells the controller that it has moved is not working. The controller then reports a stall.

You need to take off the rear cover of the z motor and have a look. The ruled disc may be dusty, cracked, or it may be loose on the shaft.

3. Default

Okay well its been alittle over a month since my last post here, and needless to say I had to walk away from the machine for a bit before I lost my mind. That being said I am still in the predicament that I started in. I know the z motor is good, that much I do know. If I plug the zmotor into where the y motor plugs in at and run a y axis test the motor works and the z truck moves freely on the rails but then I get a y axis failure since the y axis is not actually moving like it should. Following Al's suggestion since I have already checked the encoder and it is completely dust free and looks like brand new. I moved it to the top for a reading of 0000 and when moving to the bottom it reads I believe, 2.950. Over and over it doesn't change and always goes back to 0000, every once and awhile I may get a 2.952 or 2.953 when I move it quicker. Other then all of this I hate to say it but I give up. Nothing I have tried has given me a solution and I'm pretty sure my only real way of getting it fixed is sending it to LHR but unfortunately with no money being made on the machine in the past 2 months, I cant afford to ship it to and from them or pay for repairs so I guess I have one giant paperweight.

4. Default

thank you for your quick response. I just took the rear cover off of the z motor and cleaned it out of what very little dust there was. The disc does not appear to be cracked at all and when I move it just a little by hand the shaft turns with it.
    unfortunately this did not fix the problem
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PART_1439159417388_20150809_182717.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	812.6 KB 
ID:	77439

Where are you at?

Like to help you if I can and were you at usa or Canada send me your phone # I will call you in a private message maybe I can help you if we can talk it shows your on the forum were are you got to stick around to check ???
    Last edited by henry1; 09-23-2015 at 07:00 PM.
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

7. Default

With Christmas coming up and my Carvewright down for the count Ive been working pretty much nonstop on some Scollsaw projects which I just finished the other day for gifts. I decided to check over everything again to make sure nothing was missed.
    1. Cleaned and checked every connection again.
    2. Replaced the z board and FCC cable.
    3. Unplugged the z-motor and plugged it into the y connection. Ran the y-axis test and the z motor works
    4. Unplugged the y-motor and plugged it into the z connection. Ran the z-axis test and the y motor works.
    5. Checked the bearings on the z truck and nothing is sticking and everything is rolling free
    6. Took the belt off to test the z-axis without a load and still get a z-axis error.
    7. Checked the encoding disc which is clean and free from scratchs, scuffs or anything that would interfere.
    8. Manually moved the z truck up and down starts at 0.000 and goes to 2.950 and back to 0
    9. Pulled out the controller and made sure ever was clean inside and checked to make sure nothing was blown.

I am going with the dusty or loose encoder disk.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I am going with the dusty or loose encoder disk.
    what would I need to do to fix that and atleast mark it off my list?

10. Default Any help appreciated

Okay so after almost 2 yrs away from my giant paperweight i am back to try and get it up an running again. I emailed carvewright about a week and a half ago, and never heard back so im guessing they didnt get my email. Gonna try and call them this week if i get out of work early enough. If anyone has some new suggestions I am open to trying something else. Where i left off is as follows...
    1. Cleaned and checked every connection again.
    2. Replaced the z board and FCC cable.
    3. Unplugged the z-motor and plugged it into the y connection. Ran the y-axis test and the z motor works
    4. Unplugged the y-motor and plugged it into the z connection. Ran the z-axis test and the y motor works.
    5. Checked the bearings on the z truck and nothing is sticking and everything is rolling free
    6. Took the belt off to test the z-axis without a load and still get a z-axis error.
    7. Checked the encoding disc which is clean and free from scratchs, scuffs or anything that would interfere.
    8. Manually moved the z truck up and down starts at 0.000 and goes to 2.950 and back to 0
    9. Pulled out the controller and made sure ever was clean inside and checked to make sure nothing was blown.
    10. Z motor does not work when plugged into its connection with or without a load on it.

In the meantime if anyone can help me out with 2 small carvings for a project im finishing at my house I would greatly appreciate it. Just send me a message please. The mpc are here and are out of red oak and only 2.5x2.5 and 5/8 thick.
    empire.mpcrebel.mpc

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast