Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Z- Axis Stall E06-0313

1. Default Z- Axis Stall E06-0313

I was just running a new project and got a Z-Axis stall about 15% into a 6 hr carve. My machine has 200 hrs on it right now. I turned it off and gave everything a good thorough cleaning and no matter what project I try to open it gives me a stall message right away. I have gone into user options to test everything and X and Y are fine. But on both the Z-Axis and Cut Motor test I get the stall error. The z truck does move a fraction, id say about 1/32 and then the error but it does move freely by hand. If anyone can please give me some help or ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

This is probably a loose encoder disc in the back of the z motor. (Good problem description.) The controller sends power to move the z (it jerks) but the encoder data which tells the controller that it has moved is not working. The controller then reports a stall.

You need to take off the rear cover of the z motor and have a look. The ruled disc may be dusty, cracked, or it may be loose on the shaft.

3. Default

thank you for your quick response. I just took the rear cover off of the z motor and cleaned it out of what very little dust there was. The disc does not appear to be cracked at all and when I move it just a little by hand the shaft turns with it.
    unfortunately this did not fix the problem
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PART_1439159417388_20150809_182717.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	812.6 KB 
ID:	77439

Then it must be wiring. The flat FFC ribbon wire or its end connections. Somehow the encoder data is not making it back to the controller.

5. Default

Since the z truck is moving even just a little can I assume that means the motor is fine then? And if so just go ahead and get a new fcc cable, z board and head termination board?

I think if you see the motor move, it is a data communication problem with the controller. Very carefully look over the FFC and its connections. It is a common source of this problem. I do not think the circuit boards failing is so common.

Any progress? You could do a sensor check just to confirm that it is the z encoder data which is the problem. At the keypad press 0 - 7 and arrow down to the y and z positions. Move the z truck by hand and see if the numbers change. Move the carriage to different positions (y) and repeat. If the z numbers work at some y positions and not at others, the FFC is the prime suspect.

8. Default

Well sorry I haven't reposted to this sooner but I was hoping to have some good news to share but that' is unfortunately not that case. Went through a few more steps since my last post trying to figure things out. I called LHR and I must say they try their best to help and I appreciate that. They had me switch the motors around which I had not thought of. I took the z motor off and plugged it in where the y motor goes and ran a y motor check and the motor worked fine and then I plugged the y motor into the back of the z truck and ran a z motor check and that also ran well. Came to the possible conclusion that something was up with the FCC cable. I went ahead and ordered a new FCC cable and a z board and installed those yesterday. Before running a z motor check I did run a sensor check first and I get readings where ever I move the z truck whether it be left right up or down so I thought that was a good thing. I have also taken the z truck off to check and make sure the belt on in was not missing any teeth causing slipping and to make sure the screws securing it were still tight and everything checked out. So I finally decided to run a z motor test and then z-axis stall again. I'm at a complete standstill and feel like I am pounding my head against a brick wall. If anyone has some more advice I would greatly appreciate it as with the machine not running I don't have the money to send it to LHR and have them look at it.

When you had the Truck off were all the rail rollers free and not jammed with dust making them stick?

With the Z truck, the bottom left roller RAIL can collect sawdust and pitch and make a slight speed bump causing the stall. Did you remove the rails and rotate them when the truck was off...? They normally fall off.

Look at the back of the Z truck.... Extra long screws in the roller rail bearings have been known to stick out TOO FAR and hit on the Y Truck Frame while the Z is going up and down.

I know you have moved the Z Motor around and have gotten good results.....

Humor me and try this test....

Power On, Card in Machine, Lift the Z to touch the top pin and hold it.

Sensor Data call up the Z Data. When you do it will read 0000 because it is a counter and ZERO is where ever the head is when you turn on Z Data.

Now move the head to the bottom stop slowly and then back up to the pin. It should cycle through the counts and back to ZERO if all is well. If the count is different then the Encoder signal is missing some pulses to the computer.

If the first test passes, do it a little quicker but beware, if you snap it up and down you can strip the big plastic gear inside the Z gearbox. What you are looking for is the clear encoder is slipping on the shaft... OR dirty.... What do you have to loose.... I am wrong many times but sometime like a pig I find the acorn sometimes... so I keep trying...

Note picture 1... The Scuffing of the CLEAR DISK.... It can remove the lines that make the pulses.... and note picture 6 & 7 and a dirty encoder... #8 look for scrapes from the Z Rail Bearing Screws being too long.

LOTS of WAGS... WILD AL GUESSES....

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC07498_WEB.jpg   DSC07488_WEB.jpg   DSC06551_WEB.jpg   DSC06552_WEB.jpg  

DSC06550_WEB.jpg   DSC06541_WEB.jpg   DSC01476_WEB.jpg   DSC08337.JPG  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 08-18-2015 at 07:36 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

How about the z gearbox bearings? It sounds like the z motor fails when under some load. If the z truck moves up and down freely and it is not the encoder, maybe the problem is in the motor. When the belt pulls sideways on the sprocket, maybe the bearings jam or the white plastic gear is being pulled into the side of the gearbox .
    Last edited by bergerud; 08-18-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast