Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cutouts using a stl file.

1. Default cutouts using a stl file.

So I have had my machine for 6 years now, doesn't got a lot of hours on it, I upgraded the software and purchased the stl file importer. I have designed a beer caddy that I want to simply cut out, what is the best way to do this. The project I have now in draft mode is over 3 hours just for the handle and sides, its just cutouts. Any suggestions would be great.

I used outline patterns then selected cut path and selected 1/8 cutout bit, it is done in half inch wood, but looks like its taking a layer off the top, not much but I need the thickness so it fits together perfect. Also should I have selected flip cutout as it looks too small looking at the parts being cut now.
    Thanks
    Mike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outline.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	76450
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails outline.jpg  

are you importing stl or dxf files?
    dxf are 2d and stl are 3d

try deleting the patterns after you outline them.
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

3. Default

They are stl files, so just having the paths should correct this? and on outside cuts do I need to select flip cutout?
    Thanks

yes. Outline usually does not give a very clean cut. I usually cut 1/2" in two passes to keep from breaking or burning a bit.
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

5. Default

Im just doing mdf for beta testing at this point, but if I was running oak would you do more than 2 passes? What I meant but flit cutout does it correct the true outside dimensions, and what about the cutouts in the middle do they stay or do I need to select flip cutout on those as well, seems they would be to big then.

Thanks again.

For your outside cut outs you probably need to "flip" cut. the inside cut you should probably leave as is. Best way to tell is to zoom in on the board and watch how the cut path changes when you select flip.

If you are just going for the shape and do not need any carving detail the do as Brent stated and delete the pattern after you have made the out lines.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

7. Default

Cool, thanks, will give it try after this first one finishes. So on the depth passes, If I use solid oak should I use more than 2 passes and I have some 1/2 inch birch plywood, what would be the best passes for that.
    Thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by coolreactions View Post
    Cool, thanks, will give it try after this first one finishes. So on the depth passes, If I use solid oak should I use more than 2 passes and I have some 1/2 inch birch plywood, what would be the best passes for that.
    Thank you so much
    For oak I would do multiple passes with 0.250 per pass and probably the same with the plywood.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

there are many variables. I have cut lots of 1/2 birch and oak in two passes. it seems the more passes the better your chances of getting an x slip and the cut out will have a stair step in the x direction.
    I have not found the exact reason for this. It can have to do with the complexity of the cut and amount, and direction the strain is on the bit.
    Brent

OS X Yosemite

10. Default

So the last job just finished but see it did not cut all the way through the 1/2 inch mdf. should I tell it to cut deeper, its just a few hairs short, I also noticed it was not creating the tabs. Well I will test tomorrow with the new settings you have provided, see what happens, I see now it was taking so long, it was running both the project and the paths.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast