Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Clear board sensor????

Quote Originally Posted by djarboe View Post
    OK, where is the Z truck sensor?
    underneath here a few pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08505_WEB.jpg   DSC08510_WEB.jpg   DSC08509_WEB.jpg  
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

The board sensor is an optic sensor in the bottom of the truck. It is little window 1.5" behind the bit and detects the board edges when initially measuring the board.

My confusion is that it is only used to initially measure the board and has nothing to do with changing bits. The type of errors that can occur when changing bits have to do with bit lengths or y belt slips.

If the error message really was about the board sensor, then we have a strange problem with a confused controller.

I suggest you forget the board sensor for now and get the bit plate working properly. It needs to flip out for the bit to touch it. Maybe the pivot either needs to be cleaned and lubed or the wires up in the cover have to be moved.

I'm not really sure what you are showing me. Some more info...

Cleaned undeneath the Z truck with a brush, and still got the "clear board sensor" message.
    It then said "Edge Detection failed, error E03-0400.
    Again, the little arm did not swing out.

Actually, the bit never made over far enough for the arm to swing. It stopped right at the outer edge of the board after homing.
    Last edited by djarboe; 08-03-2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: more information

Quote Originally Posted by djarboe View Post
    I'm not really sure what you are showing me. Some more info...

Cleaned undeneath the Z truck with a brush, and still got the "clear board sensor" message.
    It then said "Edge Detection failed, error E03-0400.
    Again, the little arm did not swing out.

Actually, the bit never made over far enough for the arm to swing. It stopped right at the outer edge of the board after homing.
    If you cleaned the Board Sensor and it still is not working, then it is extremely likely that dust has gotten INSIDE the plastic clear window. You CAN remove the sensor and pry it apart to clean the inside of the window, or I just cut out a new window from some stiff clear plastic from a battery package and replace the window. Seal the perimeter edges of the sensor with a teeny bit of silicon after putting it back together. I've done this twice for my own machines and once for a fellow carver who lives nearby. Works great (as long as you don't have some other issue such as a pinched or damaged sensor wire or something along those lines).

If the truck is not coming over far enough to force the "flipper" out, then you have a mechanical issue...likely the truck is hitting the wire harness at the top-right-back corner (tuck the wires back into the corner out of the way of the truck motion) or your Y belt needs adjustment (just loosen the adjustment screw, then re-tighten...download the Y-truck replacement document from CW Support for details) or it is damaged (missing teeth).
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Care to come to Kansas City to help me through this?? Anybody in the KC area that would care to assist?

I'm trying one last-ditch solution. We have had (with all our storms) a lot of power fluctuations. So, I unplugged the machine from the outlet (probably a good practice anyway). I did notice while pulling the plug that there was a small spark, indicating to me that, even though it is "off" something is still using power.

Will try it again.

Thanks!

Try giving Jerry Prinds a call. He is in the KC area. He is a Star U training Guru with CarveWright. I met him at the woodworking show. His number is (deleted...please do not post peoples personal information online...send PM or they can go online to our START U page and send Jerry an emailed request ~lynnfrwd). I live in Concordia, Mo but travel a lot. On the road currently.

Greg Brown

Care to come to Kansas City to help me through this?? Anybody in the KC area that would care to assist?

I'm trying one last-ditch solution. We have had (with all our storms) a lot of power fluctuations. So, I unplugged the machine from the outlet (probably a good practice anyway). I did notice while pulling the plug that there was a small spark, indicating to me that, even though it is "off" something is still using power.

Will try it again.

Thanks!
    Last edited by lynnfrwd; 08-03-2015 at 01:45 PM.

The power wires for the cut motor can block the Y truck fro going far enough to push the bit plate out. Check that the wires in the back corner over the cut motor are pushed into the corner all the way.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Strange but true, If you are having board sensor issues take a look at your FFC cable to see if there are any cracks or breaks in it. The FFC cable is the flat white ribbon cable that comes off the back of the Y truck, laces through the black vertical support bracket in the back of the machine and plugs into the circuit card on the back of the Y rail. Cracks/breaks are most common right at the vertical support bracket as that is where the cable flexes as the Y truck moves back an forth.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

What we have here is a communication problem. Djarboe, put in a nice board and press 7-1. Does your machine measure the board without an error?

(I think what is going on here is simply a clear board senor error while measuring the board. The bit plate does not come out because the machine does not get to that stage. It stops with a board sensor error and does not even finish measuring the board.)

If you get the error measuring the board, blow off the board sensor with some compressed air and try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post

If you get the error measuring the board, blow off the board sensor with some compressed air and try it again.
    He already said he brushed it off, so blowing it off probably won't work to correct the problem. Likely will need to disassemble and clean inside or replace the window as described above (or take the "ea$y" way out and just order a new sensor).
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast