Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated

Quote Originally Posted by wwill84751 View Post
    we used to be a dry state, but I swear the last few years its getting to feel like we are in the south somewhere. My husband is used o the humid air not me, Im a native and I want the dryness back in my banana belt area! At any rate thanks to all you guys for helping me, I have drove myself crazy all week! I jut put my board in the machine, with the 7" rule I didnt know about and masking tape. WE shall see in a couple of hours what I get....

Very true we are not use to drinking our air.. Best of luck and let us know how it turned out..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Here is a link to the Tips & Trick archives (it really should be listed under the "Popular Articles" list on the main support page) :

http://support.carvewright.com/tips-tricks-archive/

The first one talks about the 7in rule, and what to tell the machine through the prompts.. Good Luck!

I tape all boards, no matter how pretty! If you buy the 6pk of blue tape from Harbor Freight, it is fairly inexpensive, and removes easily. The regular yellow/tan stuff is more difficult to remove, and sometimes leaves a residue.

Another thing that really helped me was to put a business card against the board as you slide the guide plate over... this will stop a not perfectly parallel board from binding as it moves through the measuring steps...stopping the dreaded tracking error.

3. Default

I will sit down and read that. After the week I had, its worth the time! I hadnt had any problems with sniping or really any issues with the machine until this past week. So I guess I was just lucky! But I will absorb all the info I can find... UPDATE on the board, it came out perfect. I used tape and added the 7 inches! Now time for sanding and painting! Im a happy girl today!

Default Frustrated

Yeah!!!!...what?....wait!....girl?! ...

Even more awesome!
    Will made me think guy, but I guess it could be short for last name. Duh! Of course it is...your daughter or grandbaby?
    Last edited by lynnfrwd; 08-01-2015 at 11:01 AM.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Good Job !!!!

As you see by adding the 7 inches of physical wood to the designer board you will always be under 2 rubber rollers and the board will be held flat to the belts and brass roller.

A more frugAL approach that I use to save wood is to use a taped on scrap cut off of the same wood. I make it a 4 inch block then in designer I draw a 4 inch rectangle and place it on the right side of the screen. The Brass roller would be on the top of the computer screen in theory. I then place all my artwork to the left of the rectangle. I then tape a 4 inch cut off on the physical board and leave the board LONG. I use place on END rather than center on board. This helps in 2 ways... the machine only measures the board ONCE and two saves time... When done, I remove the taped on board and cut the project to length from the long board and start over taping the board on the end.

My favorite saying is... It's all about the Brass roller... Keeping the board in contact with the brass roller 100% of the time is the most important thing you can do... And by putting masking tape on the brass roller track on the underside of the board it lets you inspect the board edge. ANY missing wood along that edge can result in the brass roller loosing contact with the brass roller and moving the board resulting in fire wood and even a broken bit... Mastering the brass roller is mastering the machine...

Here are some samples...

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00924_WEB.jpg   CLK1.jpg   b2.jpg   Buck1.jpg  

DSC00797_WEB.jpg   DSC00793_WEB.jpg   DSC09788_WEB.jpg   DSC09787_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 08-01-2015 at 11:56 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

6. Default

Yes a girl! I love wood! Really anything natural. I have many hobbies. I have a whole shop set up for ceramics, and I look forward to making bases or signs for some of my ceramics... but I dabble in a little bit of everything really... I have yet to get my husband interested... I originally thought he would take over the carvewright but I wonder if hes intimidated by it.... or wants me to figure it all out and then he will dabble with it but what the heck, Im having fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Yeah!!!!...what?....wait!....girl?! ...

Even more awesome!
    Will made me think guy, but I guess it could be short for last name. Duh! Of course it is...your daughter or grandbaby?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Good Job !!!!

As you see by adding the 7 inches of physical wood to the designer board you will always be under 2 rubber rollers and the board will be held flat to the belts and brass roller.

A more frugAL approach that I use to save wood is to use a taped on scrap cut off of the same wood. I make it a 4 inch block then in designer I draw a 4 inch rectangle and place it on the right side of the screen. The Brass roller would be on the top of the computer screen in theory. I then place all my artwork to the left of the rectangle. I then tape a 4 inch cut off on the physical board and leave the board LONG. I use place on END rather than center on board. This helps in 2 ways... the machine only measures the board ONCE and two saves time... When done, I remove the taped on board and cut the project to length from the long board and start over taping the board on the end.

My favorite saying is... It's all about the Brass roller... Keeping the board in contact with the brass roller 100% of the time is the most important thing you can do... And by putting masking tape on the brass roller track on the underside of the board it lets you inspect the board edge. ANY missing wood along that edge can result in the brass roller loosing contact with the brass roller and moving the board resulting in fire wood and even a broken bit... Mastering the brass roller is mastering the machine...

Here are some samples...

AL
    Well isnt that neat. I thought maybe the tape would interfer with how the machine operates. But you showed that it doesnt. I will definatly keep that in mind when I have a board that I am short on. Wood can run some money! My brother is a logger and has a sawmill but he is so busy getting him to cut me some wood is like pulling teeth, I might just have to go out there and learn to run it myself! Its not like I need a whole tree...lol but I would like to find different wood that isnt going to cost and arm and a leg... but thanks for the tips...

Quote Originally Posted by wwill84751 View Post
    you would put making tape on the bottom egde? Are you talking about the end or backside? I always plane my wood before it goes in the machine. Im in colorado but it seems like I am dealing with humidity in the shop! Im gonna go give it a shot. fingers and toes crossed! lol
    Oh man, no masking tape? To me that's rule 1 on any carve and I'm sorry you didn't know to do it.

A strip of 1" masking tape on the bottom on the board that is closest to the keyboard side of the machine, the entire length. The tape helps the X tracking sensor engage. I've even put two layers on. That simple step will keep you from experiencing a ton of pain.

/Someone prolly already said it but I'm too lazy to read the other comments

Glad things worked out for ya ...
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

I'm not trying to hijack this post.. I've been in Florida since 1982 and went to Ohio once a yr. for the past two for a brief visit, I felt like I was drying up. We just are opposit in our climants we stay inside to stay cool for 6 months and you guys stay inside for 6 months to stay warm...lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast