Thread: Getting lable gum off

Default Getting lable gum off

I am carving a sliding lid for a box. I have a rush order so I purchased the birch ply from a craft store, as I didn't have time to drive 2 hours each way to my Woodcraft store.

The ply came with a huge sticker, and left a substantial amount of gum behind. It is not sanding off without a bit of wood in the surrounding area. These will be finished with just butcher block oil. What can I use to remove the gum, without an odor, without compromising the butcher block oil absorption?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Try something very volatile like lacquer thinner. It will all evaporate and leave no trace.

I have used alcohol before. Be sure to use a cloth and rotate it often so the cloth soaks up the glue. Also, work towards the center of the spot so it doesn't spread. I have also used lacquer thinner as well with good results. What ever you use, use a lot so it thins the glue as you try to remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by DianMayfield View Post
    I am carving a sliding lid for a box. I have a rush order so I purchased the birch ply from a craft store, as I didn't have time to drive 2 hours each way to my Woodcraft store.

The ply came with a huge sticker, and left a substantial amount of gum behind. It is not sanding off without a bit of wood in the surrounding area. These will be finished with just butcher block oil. What can I use to remove the gum, without an odor, without compromising the butcher block oil absorption?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    I use acetone or naptha. Lacquer thinner will probably work better but, it is more toxic. Especially if you get it on your skin. It will also dissolve nitrile gloves. All three will evaporate very quickly.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-02-2015 at 01:31 PM.
    Steve

Thank you gentlemen!

I was going for food safe, so I tried the alcohol first. It took a few passes to get it all off, but it worked Thanks so much...adding the thinner and acetone to my tool box for other situations. I have a gallon of acetone for some reason (no, not my nails ), now it may come in handy!

Quote Originally Posted by DianMayfield View Post
    Thank you gentlemen!

I was going for food safe, so I tried the alcohol first. It took a few passes to get it all off, but it worked Thanks so much...adding the thinner and acetone to my tool box for other situations. I have a gallon of acetone for some reason (no, not my nails ), now it may come in handy!
    Acetone works pretty good for removing cyanoacrylate glue (super glue) also.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-02-2015 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Steve

I us acetone ,,, Gets the gunk right off and evaporates very quick ..
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!