Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Design this logo into 2 mpc's?

All curves are trimmed and none go off of the boards. Some rails on the sides or (slightly wider boards to be trimmed later) is certainly a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I would also make no cuts within an inch of the edge of the actual board and temporarily add strips of scrap to the actual board, to keep the rollers in contact.
    Stay away from the board edge or use strips, I can understand. Why would you do both?

3. Default

I think by using a larger board width & length than needed & centering the project on the board should solve both the roller & air carving issues? Then just use the table saw to cut the excess? One concern I have is that the bit depth must stay 100% consistent on the oval and border for 6 different runs. If it carves any of the border slightly deeper or shallower then the whole piece is scrap. I've never ran a multi sectional carve like this, is that a valid concern or you guys think the machine will be right on depth wise for all 6 pieces?

I agree, larger board solves roller problems. (You will still get the warning on upload, but ignore.) About the depth, I think it should be ok. As long as the bit touch does not go into a soft spot on one of the boards. (Jog to touch near the edge where the next board will attach.)

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Stay away from the board edge or use strips, I can understand. Why would you do both?
    I misspoke. I tend to think of the board + strips the same as a board.

6. Default

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	450.0 KB 
ID:	77425Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	445.3 KB 
ID:	77426Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	466.2 KB 
ID:	77427Not sure what went wrong but its off by 1/8. I didn't change any dimensions, only deleted the one oval and changed depths. What's your thoughts on this Dan?

A bit of a tracking problem I guess. How deep was the ellipse? Single pass?

I always do shallow passes. It seems to me that the stress of deep passes causes slippage. The belts creep on the rollers or the board slips on the belts.
    Last edited by bergerud; 08-08-2015 at 10:11 PM.

8. Default

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gimp.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	375.5 KB 
ID:	77428The oval is .25 in depth and the back of the boards have a clear track all the way down them. When I Piece it together it appears that the middle piece is a bit off?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I always do shallow passes. It seems to me that the stress of deep passes causes slippage. The belts creep on the rollers or the board slips on the belts.
    Okay. When you said slippage I thought of the tracking roller but I guess it could of been the belts slipping underneath the board. Maybe that was is the issue. Try setting it to take 2 passes at .125 instead of one at .25?

I do not think the mpcs were off. It was all snapped to a grid.

If you think the top board was too short, then there may have been slippage. If you think the middle board was too long, then there may have been tracking roller problems. This is a hard one since the boards are so long. Did you use rails on the sides of the boards? I would do the two passes.

Can you determine by measurement which board is off?
    Last edited by bergerud; 08-08-2015 at 11:01 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast