Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carving words and phrases

Default carving words and phrases

I only get good carvings of words and phrases about half the time. Most of the time, the letters have parts missing, even though they look fine on the screen. I thought the problem might have been that I brought the text in and then manipulated the box. This often resulted in the text being smaller than the 90 pts. in the type in area. So, I tried putting in the text at a lower point so that I wouldn't have to size it. Same thing happened -- text looks terrible and is barely readable. Have tried changing optimations setting on pattern in program and also setting carving machine to best carving. I also tried reducing the height and depth of the text and that didn't help. I must be doing something wrong, but can't figure out what. Occasionally, I will get something that will carve beautifully. Don't know why the difference.

If you could post some pictures of the carvings we might get a better idea of what your problem might be.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Are you adding "draft" to your letters???

Ditto to what Floyd said...provide something specific (preferably an MPC, but a photo might be helpful, as well...or, ideally, provide BOTH).

Also, ditto to the question about whether you are adding Draft to your lettering. (You should be for raised letters.)

Different font styles and sizes can have dramatically different suitability for carving as raised lettering in wood. So...give us something to "see" so we can help you more efficiently.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I have also learned that the "proportion" of the letter needs to be maintained....so if you are using a True Type and import it into your MPC ..be sure to lock the width and height on the box that it's in so you don't change the proportion.

I had the problem with VBits when I first bought my machine. There was a "Bug" in the depth software of the "C" machines purchased in early 2013 (I believe). I worked with Carvewright and they came up with a solution. Could be the same issue.

Might need to check wood for twists or different depths. I've found putting wood thru thickness planner helps alot.

Jeff

Lots of good guessing and tips...but...we still need specifics. An MPC example of a "problem" project and photos of a real carve would be great!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Not sure what you mean by adding draft. I usually only get to work on my wood projects over the weekend, that's why I haven't replied. I'll try to take a picture of one of my carvings along with the mpc. I've been carving for about three years now, but this is the one bugaboo that always gets to me. I make an ambo for church with a lot of parts in oak, and all the letters carved great -- of course they were about 2 1/2 in. each. OOOPS! Sorry -- just went back into the program and saw the draft feature which I never noticed before. Can't wait 'til the weekend to see if adding the draft makes any difference. Also will try to maintain heighth and width. Also will take a picture of carving and include mpc. In the meantime, thanks to all who have replied to my post. Wish I had more time to play -- I probably could figure some of this out if I had time.

Can you remember what the solution was? That's about the vintage of my machine -- could be a machine problem or a software problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast