Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shocking question...

Default Shocking question...

Greetings and thanks to all who read and post. My name is Forrest and I'm writing from swampy South Louisiana. I'm as new to woodworking and carving as I am the CW but have access to a bunch of wood and figured I should try to do something with it.

I just recently purchased the CW and have been lurking and learning...which is inevitably accompanied by the realization of how much I don't know. In any case, thanks to all those who share their time, energy, and knowledge.

On with the question...

My machine shocks me. Be it plugged in with cord or directly to an outlet....even when turned off. This isn't a static type discharge either...its constant. Is this normal? Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or monetary gifts :) would be appreciated.

No you should not be getting shocked, this is not normal and you should call CarveWright so that they can help you investigate what is going on with your machine.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

First thing I would check is if the outlet is wired backwards.... with a tester.... OR call an electrician.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tester.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

The machine is supposed to be double insulated. If it shocks when it is off, there must be a problem with the wires under the machine. Maybe jam packed with damp sawdust? I would take the bottom off of the machine and have a look.

Thanks much for the replys. I figured as much...though it has the potential to be sort of a dumb question, in perusing the forum there is a lot of knowledge and I didn't know if maybe someone had heard of such happening. I'm looking forward to making some sawdust with it but haven't had the opportunity yet.

Good call on the outlet. I'll check it out as that would problematic in general.

I'll be calling CWHQ tomorrow to see what they say.

I'll let you know what I find our about the outlets after I run it to ground.

I is not a grounded plug so even if it were plugged in backwards (outlet reversed) it should not shock you. Your machine has an internal problem. You can buy (probably at Home Depot) a thing the looks like a 3 pronged plug - mine is yellow - that has 3 led on it 2 yellow and one red. Plug it into a outlet and it will test it for open neutral, open hot, open ground, and reversed. Everyone should have one of those on hand.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Hey Forrest, fellow south louisiana carver here, hope you figure that one out.

And the plug was wired incorrectly...neutral and positive were reversed. Free advice and no charge. Thanks for the help... Saved me from having to try and figure out how to repack the CW.

Ehh la bas Shasta! You're right around the corner. I'm just north of Iowa.

Al is known for being the smart repair guy here! Glad you have it fixed and without spending money even better!

Although this may stop the shocks, there must still be a "connection" in the machine that there should not be. Both the common and the hot should be insulated from the case of the machine. What does double insulated mean?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast