Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some input on a making a massive sign.

Default Need some input on a making a massive sign.

I had a client that wants me to make a theater marquee like the one pictured below that I make, the thing is that it needs to be about 10 feet long, which would put the overall height at around 42 inches. Obviously this would be a double layered stitch carve consisting of basically 6 pieces 14" wide for the whole project. I know that I would have to have lumber milled thick enough to get the depth I need to get the detail, have it jointed and planed so its all even. Has anyone ever done anything this big before? If so, what were issues that came up?

Also, as I was typing this, I broke the carve up to a 15" width, I found that there is not enough memory on the card to even upload the project. I thought lets break this up into quarters, still not enough memory for the project. I would hate to have to break this project up in little pieces and try to fit it all together but that may have to happen.

I would really love to take on this challenge, but need some input from those of you who have done large projects like this. Am I asking too much from these machines?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gold theater1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	223.2 KB 
ID:	77162

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carve.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	387.2 KB 
ID:	77161
    Most folks are afraid of heights, me I fear width.

Max width for a project is 14 1/2". The program may let you set the board width to 15" but, there will be issues. This may be your problem.
    Steve

Also, keep in mind there is a 20 pound weight limit per board put through the machine. A 10' board x 14.5" and "thick enough" sounds like you might be pushing that 20 pound limit. You will strip your x-drive gears...
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Thank you Connie I didn't know the weight restrictions, never done a carve that big, but you didn't add in having rollers at each end for holding the ends up.

The weight restriction, I believe, is not really to do with the weight but the mass. A little less head pressure as well as aux rollers would compensate for the weight. The problem is that the belts have to accelerate the board back and forth through the machine.

I have made several large signs that required 4-5 n 6 pieces .. I really had no issues other than my nerves each time I put the next piece in .. Just keep your dots , markers lined up at the splits and all should be good .. Like Dan said extra rollers were required to keep the piece inline/level going into and coming out of the machine . Good Luck ..
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    Thank you Connie I didn't know the weight restrictions, never done a carve that big, but you didn't add in having rollers at each end for holding the ends up.
    Yes, anything over 3' requires outfeed rollers.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    The weight restriction, I believe, is not really to do with the weight but the mass. A little less head pressure as well as aux rollers would compensate for the weight. The problem is that the belts have to accelerate the board back and forth through the machine.
    @bergerud Sure makes me nervous, when you say things like this...

@OP & @ALL You run the risk of breaking the teeth on your x-drive gears, if your board it too heavy or somehow gets in a bind. We have found it safe to say AVOID anything over 20 lbs.

Another option would be lite weight Urethane sign board ... Easy on all parts of the machine ... Just keep an air compressor full cause it makes a lot of fine dust ....
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    @bergerud Sure makes me nervous, when you say things like this...
    I was only saying the weight on the belts is not the problem, it is trying to accelerate the large mass which will break the gears. Hence, outfeed rollers or other means to take to weight off of the belts will not help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast