Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First successful carve

Quote Originally Posted by 2A Finishing View Post
    My problem is how to command the machine to cut one hole at one size, all the way through, then mill out a concentric "circle" over the existing hole to create the grip screw shelf at a specific depth.
    This is a trivial problem for the drill tool. Simply drill a hole through and then drill a bigger hole down to the depth you want. I think your bigger problem is to get a nice smooth surface on your pattern. I think scanning is just too crude. You will be left with too much hand finishing to do. I would either create the grip from scratch in Designer or create a STL in other software and import it into Designer. You can get much help here from the forum, but you have to post stuff for us to play with!

Do search 1911 grips if you have not.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    This is a trivial problem for the drill tool. Simply drill a hole through and then drill a bigger hole down to the depth you want. I think your bigger problem is to get a nice smooth surface on your pattern. I think scanning is just too crude. You will be left with too much hand finishing to do. I would either create the grip from scratch in Designer or create a STL in other software and import it into Designer. You can get much help here from the forum, but you have to post stuff for us to play with!

Do search 1911 grips if you have not.
    I'm not worried about the smooth surface - That pair was cut on draft mode. I plan on both speeding the process by rotating my pattern 90 degrees so the faster cuts go along the length of the grip rather than across, as well as switching to the 1/16" carving bit instead of the 1/32" bit. I pride myself on my hand finishing Here's a set I finished - they looked not much better than the set in my original post when I got them in. They're pin oak, sourced locally here in Florida.

Sort of the same situation for a guy who I do piece work for. He had a guy with a commercial cnc doing some work for him. What used to be a $5.00 job went up to over $10. So guess who got offered to do his new work!

Nice looking grips! When you are setting up the scan make sure you select a higher scan quality. It will make for a smoother end product.

Dan's tip on the hole drill would be my way of doing it as well. I would also suggest looking at the 3/16" carving bit since there is little detail in the grip shape.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Sort of the same situation for a guy who I do piece work for. He had a guy with a commercial cnc doing some work for him. What used to be a $5.00 job went up to over $10. So guess who got offered to do his new work!

Nice looking grips! When you are setting up the scan make sure you select a higher scan quality. It will make for a smoother end product.

Dan's tip on the hole drill would be my way of doing it as well. I would also suggest looking at the 3/16" carving bit since there is little detail in the grip shape.
    (snipped for discretion)
    Honestly the finish is my specialty - I don't care where the grips come from as long as they're affordably cut. I will say there's a certain satisfaction from cutting them myself though. This CNC thing is REALLY fun when it works out right.

Aside from the dated memory card tech, the only complaint I have about any of it is that the RNB dust collector comes raw - I spraypainted mine black to match the machine LOL

Here is an example of Dan's recessed hole suggestion in practice.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6307178.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	77120 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6307183.JPG 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	77121

I'm in agreement with Dan, even if you like hand finishing it would pay to start with a smooth pattern

I don't know your market, but with the Carvewright software there are many custom possibilities other than smooth, such as a near infinite variety of textures, initials, logos, etc.

Here is just a quick attempt with just Designer tools.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quick Grips.png  

Quote Originally Posted by 2A Finishing View Post
    (snipped for discretion)

Aside from the dated memory card tech, the only complaint I have about any of it is that the RNB dust collector comes raw - I spraypainted mine black to match the machine LOL
    I thought about that after a couple customers sent me pictures of their paint jobs. Just not enough shop room for a paint booth, the boss has just enough room for her car the way it is now!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Here is an example of Dan's recessed hole suggestion in practice.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6307178.JPG 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	77120 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S6307183.JPG 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	77121

I'm in agreement with Dan, even if you like hand finishing it would pay to start with a smooth pattern

I don't know your market, but with the Carvewright software there are many custom possibilities other than smooth, such as a near infinite variety of textures, initials, logos, etc.
    Looks like the holes will work well that way. Thanks for that tip (both of you) - As far as the smooth pattern, I fully plan on re-scanning without the plastic tip then using the pattern suite to smooth what I have - I just wanted to make sure I had everything correct before I started worrying about "making nice". I've already played with some engraving and carving (I carved the batman forever logo out of cedar for my son, a toolbox lid with my company's logo and motto "Exercise your Right ...Elegantly", some other small stuff), and fully plan to upgrade to centerline text soon.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris
    I thought about that after a couple customers sent me pictures of their paint jobs. Just not enough shop room for a paint booth, the boss has just enough room for her car the way it is now!
    My shop is about 200ft from the house - mine doesn't care what I do (within reason) as long as I keep my mess out in the barn (she's been somewhat unsuccessful in that venture so far)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12