Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First successful carve

Default First successful carve

New around here and I thought I'd share the project I've been working on (and one of the major reasons I bought the CW) - Even with the scan probe and a hefty background in computers and woodworking, but no experience at all operating a CNC and only minor experience with 3d modeling, this was ridiculously tricky to get right. I still need a little help with the mounting holes if anyone has any tips? Yes, I purposefully notched both panels (personal touches make or break you in the grip business), and disregard the out of place groove please - I cut that mark to place the thumb groove but my decorative bits are on back order.

The machine itself presented a few issues off the bat that frustrated me some, but between a fair understanding of computers and an air compressor, I was able to get through - I had a couple axis stalls due to dust (probably left over from the fiddling I did before my ringneck blues dust collector got here), and my memory card seems to need to be reformatted repeatedly, at random intervals. It's a shame about the memory card as that seems to me to be the most glaring weak point of the entire system.

In any case, without further ado - (and after 3 failed attempts to get my cut path correct and get my scaling to come out correct) - African Cherry 1911 grips. Once again, any tips anyone might have regarding the screw holes are more than welcome.

You should put out the mpc to see what its is so we can help
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Yes, post the mpc. Even better if you can also post a .png of the scan.

Quote Originally Posted by 2A Finishing View Post
    It's a shame about the memory card as that seems to me to be the most glaring weak point of the entire system.
    I understand your comment as you have been having troubles, but I don't agree - I think it is a great feature. No computer tied up in a dusty shop, and with two cards I can be carving and designing/uploading simultaneously.

+1 to DickB's comment about the card. I was thinking exactly the same while I was carving 11 sports figures this past weekend that will be used to cover cooler doors in a local sports grill. I am very thankful to keep the laptop in the house and carry the card back and forth. It also means I spent less on a second card than 2 laptops when I have both of my CWs going at the same time as I did with this project....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

I'm not saying the idea of the card is a bad one - I'm saying that the outdated PCMCIA technology is a SIGNIFICANT weak point in this system. SD or microSD are capable of higher capacities, with higher transfer rates, significantly more resistant to physical stresses, and they're solid state memory as well as taking up a LOT less real estate than the current solution. The idea is fantastic. The implementation needs work.

As far as my grip MPC and PNG, with as much difficulty I had even getting them to this point, and with the amount of assistance that was NOT forthcoming (not here - speaking of others who also CNC cut pistol grips - I do this for a living, and bought the machine to bring my production in-house instead of paying someone else to do it) - I'm not comfortable sharing the project files. I don't mind snipping off the screw hole sections to make a separate file to share however. Even the person who currently carves my grips wasn't willing to share even the simplest tips towards producing my own. That said - I'm willing to trade my 1911 grips pattern for a pattern for Beretta 92 grips or Browning Hi-Power grips. Please don't think I'm being stingy or anything like that, I'm just trying to protect my business as best I can. I just started my company in february this year and you'd be shocked to find out some of the things people have literally stolen from me just seeing photos of my work.

The divot for the grip screw holes came out in the scanner, but I had a plastic cap on it so the shelf came out rounded and lower resolution than I think I would have gotten without the tip on. What I really need to be able to do, though, is have the machine cut the holes to the correct dimensions with the properly located shelf. I have the necessary blueprints, but I don't have the 2d vector drawing upgrade. I've just been drilling out a .170 hole in the center(ish) of the relief the scan left me with using the 1/8" cutter, and plan to correct the deficiencies by hand. Having the machine do it will save me a fair amount of time.

Have you searched the forum for 1911 grips? Many have scanned or otherwise made these types of grips.

I fully understand/agree on your points of not sharing the grip files since this is your main business. If it was me I would challenge the guy who is doing them for you now. If he is milling them for you at your specs then I would think you have the rights to the design.

Would it be possible on your hole problem to fill the area in the pattern editor, maybe leave a dimple for the center mark, and then just have the CW drill out the actual hole?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    I fully understand/agree on your points of not sharing the grip files since this is your main business. If it was me I would challenge the guy who is doing them for you now. If he is milling them for you at your specs then I would think you have the rights to the design.

Would it be possible on your hole problem to fill the area in the pattern editor, maybe leave a dimple for the center mark, and then just have the CW drill out the actual hole?
    It's a little more complex of a situation than that between me and the person milling the grips for me now - it's her design, she cuts my wood out for me in trade for my finishing skills. I only bought the machine because I am working on a large sales deal with another company I have a large order sitting on the bench waiting for me to be able to fulfill it and, trying to avoid paying someone else for my deal and losing money to do it. Because the order number is very high for a company that just started in february and has sold a grand total of maybe 20 sets of grips, it's a big step.

It's more than possible to fill the hole - I need to take another scan using the bare probe to get a better scan and I can tape over the holes during the scan. It'll leave a minor flat spot on the pattern, but that shouldn't be an issue at all. My problem is how to command the machine to cut one hole at one size, all the way through, then mill out a concentric "circle" over the existing hole to create the grip screw shelf at a specific depth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast