Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cut Motor weirdness

Default Cut Motor weirdness

Been working with a friend on His C with about 300 hours on it. Using Designer 3.

Measures board, spins up bit during set fine, finds surface and depth. When it starts the carve, be it cutting, raster carving or centerline,
    the motor spins up madly to max RPM and gives a check cut motor message. If you hit start to continue, it spins up fine for the entire carve.

Reformatted and flashed card. Ran the same project on my C with no problem, used his card and mine. swapped motors, head termination boards,
    x termination boards, rpm sensor from my machine to his. Still happens on his C each time.

I am at a loss of what to check or swap out next. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Bill Brooks
    Henrico , VA
    Printer, Zymurgist, Carvehead
    Machine One - Version B, Carvetight upgrade and a Ringneck Blues Dust collector www.ringneckblues.com
    Machine Two - 5th Anniversary Version C, Rubber Belts and a Ringneck Blues Blues Dust collector

Is his machine on an extension cord? It sounds to me like the line voltage to the machine may be low.

The check motor message is invoked when the cut motor does not wind up fast enough to attain a certain rpm within a given time. (We had asked that the test be relaxed a little since it seems to pop up when it really should not. It will only happen once per boot up, but, it is still annoying when it stops the operation in the middle for no good reason.)

I had a similar problem also, the rpm wasn't constant, kept going up and down due to the cover switch not working properly.

I have had a similar problem if you have the carvewright on the same line as other tools or lights and have them on the same line it draws power from the other outlets when there on, and the rpm slows down, it needs it needs to have own power outlet.

Likely you will find that if you turn off the power between projects it will do it every time... But... If you do a project and not cycle the power between projects it will not do it for the 2nd project. Leading me to believe that a "bit" or "parameter" is altered in the CW Program after the first time and by not cycling the power, it stays "set" in less sensitive mode or a higher motor RPM. This is all a big WAG.. Wild AL Guess where likely #1 will chime in with the answer.

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 07-19-2015 at 01:17 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Metallus has said that the error message is a one time only message. That is, once only per boot up.

Good Catch.... so #1 has addressed it.. "Make it so..."
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

all good stuff. He is in fact running on an extension cord so we will eliminate that and see what happens.

Al, for your WAG, it does it on every project even if you don't power down but I appreciate the addition of WAG to my list of acronyms.

Stay tuned and thanks!
    Bill Brooks
    Henrico , VA
    Printer, Zymurgist, Carvehead
    Machine One - Version B, Carvetight upgrade and a Ringneck Blues Dust collector www.ringneckblues.com
    Machine Two - 5th Anniversary Version C, Rubber Belts and a Ringneck Blues Blues Dust collector

Quote Originally Posted by BBrooks View Post
    it does it on every project even if you don't power down
    I was told that the cut motor message is displayed at most once per power on cycle. When the cut motor error occurs, the machine falls back on a backup speed control system (a look up table without the feedback control). The cut motor is checked on each project and will fall back on the backup if the error occurs again. The message, however, would only pop up once at the first occurrence of the error.

Speaking of cut motor weirdness, when I run the test it works fine but when I try to start a project it doesn't work.
    Any ideas??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast