Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd behavior when carving

Default Odd behavior when carving

Ok, so now that I've got a working computer and seem to have solved my memory card issues that were being caused by a faulty USB port (mostly anyway - still intermittent "format your card" errors, but nowhere near as common as on the old dying PC), but I've noticed that when running a carve, sometimes the head moves slowly and sometimes it'll speed up notably - I'm not talking about the difference in speed between routing curves and routing straight lines, I'm talking running the carve itself - it'll do two or three passes slow, then it'll do a pass or two really quickly, sometimes causing chip-out where it wouldn't have been caused if the bit hadn't sped up.

This speed change seems to affect both the speed of the head moving back and forth, as well as the rotation speed of the bit.

Any ideas?

Are you running your carvewright on it's own circuit breaker and outlet ?

no it's on the same circuit as the dust collector. I'm very limited in what I can modify here - I don't own the home
    the carvewright and the dust collector are literally all that is on it though. Also, dirty rural power. I could probably stand to use a good surge protector - the one I have is kinda cheap.

I have had that problem with both running the same dust collector and carvewright off the same outlet it pulls to much power useing the same outlet have you a diferent outlet to run on the dust collector with a different curcuit breaker and run a extention cord ?
    Last edited by aokweld101; 09-01-2015 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    I have had that problem with both running the same dust collector and carvewright off the same outlet it pulls to much power useing the same outlet have you a diferent outlet to run on the dust collector with a different curcuit breaker and run a extention cord ?
    I don't have a way to chase the circuits (there are two in the shop) and I have no clue what runs where - an idiot ran the electrical here.
    I can run an extension cord to the dust collector though, and plug it in in the office and see if that makes a difference. I'll set that up now and try the carve again (for the 20th time - see the "cw will not read card" thread a couple down from this one in the troubleshooting section for an update of my night)

I'll update in an hour or two after I nap some before the kids wake me up for breakfast (unless they wake up before I finish, in which case no sleep for me today lol)

I have had the motor surging issue before, ran an extension cord from the back porch for my DC, helped a lot.

Did you ever get a chance to try another card/reader combination?

nope, it gave me the same thing literally 5 seconds after starting the carve this time. At least it didn't run through to 60% then stop this time

Quote Originally Posted by DianMayfield View Post
    I have had the motor surging issue before, ran an extension cord from the back porch for my DC, helped a lot.

Did you ever get a chance to try another card/reader combination?
    No, AOK wasn't able to make it out when we planned. Haven't addressed the issue since, just kinda been focusing on other things while the carvewright more or less collects dust. I'm really close to just sending it back and recouping what losses the company forces me to take through the cost of the software and restocking fees because this is more hassle than the machine is worth at this point. For $4000, you'd think they'd make me breakfast after screwing me.

completely random format error (6) and (2) literally all night long. Over and over. probably 15-20 times last night through this morning. I've been trying to complete a 1 hour carve for more than 10 hours now. The ONLY good news is that my odometer only reads 52 hours on time.

Not to keep harping on the issue, but these PCMCIA flash cards are literally the biggest pain. They didn't work well when they came out 15 years ago, and they don't work any better now. The company REALLY needs to rethink this part of the system. I'd even be happy to be a product tester if they decided to upgrade to microSD (current standard), or even SD or (shudder) HD flash card system. I don't know why someone building top of the line machinery would choose to run it off outdated components like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast