Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sometimes it's so obvious

You're right Dan which I forgot. What I normally do is a first cut with the 1/8" cutting bit with an .062" offset, then offset the square by .1 and carve the rest with the 1/16" carving bit. Lot faster to create than having to offset a bunch of squares or create lines and you still get straight walls......

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    This is the kind of thing I would do. Cut out the pocket as opposed to carve it. Make some tabs. Cut out the square...

Quote Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
    what was your setting for the 1/8 bit to cut at .094

Sometimes I like to use a 3/32" snap grid to hog out the middle with less passes.

Wow thank you .This will save me some work and Fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by zan29 View Post
    You're right Dan which I forgot. What I normally do is a first cut with the 1/8" cutting bit with an .062" offset, then offset the square by .1 and carve the rest with the 1/16" carving bit. Lot faster to create than having to offset a bunch of squares or create lines and you still get straight walls......
    You are right. It takes longer to set up all the cutting bit passes. It may even take a little longer to cut out. You do get a smoother bottom. Many of my projects are all milling and so I also like to just use the same bit. But, it is also fun to figure the bit paths to cut out complicated pockets. See what I have been working on for example.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pop up rails.png  

My method would save you a lot time in the designing part of it...........don't know what it is but sure looks pretty wild.

I decided to take mine to the cut-off saw and forget trying to cut them out with the machine. I could cut it out far faster and with a smoother edge than using the machine to deal along with the complications of cutting through 1 1/2" wood.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    This is the kind of thing I would do. Cut out the pocket as opposed to carve it. Make some tabs. Cut out the square...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123